Shadowclan Main Page The Shadowclan Dark Moot

CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   CharactersCharacters   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Wed 14 Nov 2018
Thu 15 Nov 2018
Fri 16 Nov 2018
Sat 17 Nov 2018
Sun 18 Nov 2018
Mon 19 Nov 2018
Petition to Switch to Vanu
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Shadowclan Dark Moot Forum Index -> Emerald Shadow Company (Planetside)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Khasha'an

Character Skills: Ghaka'ka fir'khanim

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vorgak wrote:
I'd like to see us drop snipers off before we do a charge, so they can pick off all the little enemies that decide they want to poke thier heads out and shoot at us. Wink

I'm telling you. I have like 30 or more confirmed kills this past two days, and all of them were guys with Chainguns, Anti-Vehicle, or Sniper weapons. The same guys that would be a real pain in the neck when we tried to take down the base.

I also held down the vehicle bay at a TR base for a few minutes by picking off everybody who tried to access it. I found a sweet spot that gave a clear view of the vehicle access panel.

Xorv

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often enjoy sniping too, but in all the time I have played this game I have rarely seen situations where snipers actually made a significant or even much more than a maginal impact on the outcome of a battle. In fact there are many situations where snipers are detrimental to their own side, as that player would be much more effective taking the base than taking pot shots at those on the walls. If sniping is what you really enjoy in Planetside, then that's definately what you should do most of the time playing, but we shouldn't base our outfit around it.

On side note, if you want to see how many kills you are making with a weapon, try looking at your merit award advancement. kills only count that are unique players you havent defeated in the last 20 minutes, so some guy you kill a dozen times in 5 minute will only show up once on these stats. Still a good way of getting an idea of comparative weapon use, and a vague idea of how many kills you have made overall.

Khasha'an

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xorv wrote:
I often enjoy sniping too, but in all the time I have played this game I have rarely seen situations where snipers actually made a significant or even much more than a maginal impact on the outcome of a battle. In fact there are many situations where snipers are detrimental to their own side, as that player would be much more effective taking the base than taking pot shots at those on the walls. If sniping is what you really enjoy in Planetside, then that's definately what you should do most of the time playing, but we shouldn't base our outfit around it.

On side note, if you want to see how many kills you are making with a weapon, try looking at your merit award advancement. kills only count that are unique players you havent defeated in the last 20 minutes, so some guy you kill a dozen times in 5 minute will only show up once on these stats. Still a good way of getting an idea of comparative weapon use, and a vague idea of how many kills you have made overall.

In attacking a base I find that the most useful work for a sniper is to kill the anti-vehicular rocket infantry that sit up on the walls.

In taking a tower I just kill anyone who comes out that door.

Snipers are also good for holding bridges when there are infantry coming across.

I have specced Rexo and Med Assault, so usually once we are in a base I run in with my sweeper shotgun and clean up the leftovers.

I keep SgtOddball because he is specced for both AirCav certs and both Armored Assault certs; But I find that usually I get killed in my vehicle before I can even fire a shot because the vehicles are such a big target. AirCav particularly gets me killed a lot (I guess I'm just not fast enough to outrun missiles).

When I'm sniping I can sit way up in the hills under a rock and nobody sees me.

Xorv

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup your spot on what a sniper should be doing in base attack, at least I think so. It's also great to hear that one of our players new to planetside is already having a good measure of success /salutes ... those posts about players dieing constantly and getting two kills per hour bring tears to my eyes... ok not really, but you get the picture.

The point I was making about sniping is that unless other players are actually trying to take and hold that tower or base wall, those that you kill will just be back in action in a few moments and nothing is really gained in the bigger picture. Although your kill count should be good, and your having fun, which is important, it's a game after all. Have you noticed some fights where the attackers have lots of snipers and just hold back, and the battle drags on for ever, usually fun fights and I'm as guilty as the rest for contributing to it. However, that battle could be over and won if most of those players put away the bolt driver and took some ground.

Also even if your under a rock on a hill relatvely far from the action, people are going to see you, whether it's from that annoying orange beam that you shot out with every shot, or because there's a mossi flying nearby which picks you up on radar. Have an ATV nearby and you can quickly relocate if trouble comes your way.

Khasha'an

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also even if your under a rock on a hill relatvely far from the action, people are going to see you, whether it's from that annoying orange beam that you shot out with every shot, or because there's a mossi flying nearby which picks you up on radar. Have an ATV nearby and you can quickly relocate if trouble comes your way.

I usually only engage once my targets and others around them are fighting other Vanu forces. While they are trying to aim their weapons I pop them.

The only real threats to my safety I have found in this game are:

Mosquitos
Stealthers
Other Snipers

Other than that nobody really sees me. I usually shoot once, then duck behind the tree, ridge, rock, etc. Watch for a few moments and pop out around the other side of my cover and shoot a second time.

Usually after the first hit the target either runs, or is confused and looking for what hit them. By then it is too late for them.

Kr'Pog
Fishi
Fishi

Character Skills: Watchin'ya from the depths of sea

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xorv wrote:
It's also great to hear that one of our players new to planetside is already having a good measure of success /salutes ... those posts about players dieing constantly and getting two kills per hour bring tears to my eyes...

If I don't cry Shocked , there is no reason you should have to, except you like to cry ( Smile ). I have fun, even if I die a lot. I really love to fix our platoons armored vehicles while they lay fire and explosions onto the enemy. The other thing I find endless amusing is something I call: "Get the bullets flying" (basically see if I can run out of ammo in an assault before I'm shot down).

p.s.: Success in Shadowclan is measured by the amount of fun we have. Wink

p.p.s.: Killed three people last moon (Yay me) and even got an invite to some outfit (they seemed impressed by my teamwork *stretches tongue out*).

*bloop*
Khasha'an

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(they seemed impressed by my teamwork *stretches tongue out*).

Gene Simmons?

Kr'Pog
Fishi
Fishi

Character Skills: Watchin'ya from the depths of sea

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khasha'an wrote:
Quote:
(they seemed impressed by my teamwork *stretches tongue out*).

Gene Simmons?

Laughing

Vorgak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kr'Pog wrote:
........The other thing I find endless amusing is something I call: "Get the bullets flying" (basically see if I can run out of ammo in an assault before I'm shot down).

p.p.s.: Killed three people last moon (Yay me) and even got an invite to some outfit (they seemed impressed by my teamwork *stretches tongue out*).

You should try this game. It's called "get into a really fast vehicle, get a guner, and see how many laps you can make around the inside of the enemy walls shooting people before you get blown apart." On a related note, sometimes you can cause enough chaos doing that, to actually turn the battle. Did I mention I normally die from all the laughing I do when we do that, as opposed to actually killing that many peoples? There's something about running over random people when they're in the relative safety of thier own base. Wink

Xorv

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Kr'Pog Wrote:
I really love to fix our platoons armored vehicles ...

Don't get me wrong, I think its fantastic that we have players like you that really enjoy the support roles. I even enjoy doing some of that stuff some of the time. That said if I'm doing badly, usually measured by my K/D ratio and what I or my team has accumplished, then I have much less fun. I imagine there's new players that also don't like repeatingly losing amongst us, and I feel bad for them if they feel they are losing all the time. Though if they stick at it I'm sure the days of horrendous K/D ratios will pass.

Anyway that's what I was getting at with my post to Khasha'an, not taking a shot at our support people, or those that don't care whether they live or die in Planetside... Although, if you really have a thing for dieing don't ask me to be your gunner. If on the other hand dieing really has a thing for you, I'll still gun for you, but you'll get Kaur lecturing you on Do's and Don'ts and whatnot. Wink

Last edited by Xorv on Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total

Khasha'an

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're sick of dying in a base fight do what I do.

Use your machine gun to graffitti "SC 4EVR" all over the base walls.

Some jerk friendly tried to write over it earlier so I smoked him.

Xorv

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah those big base fights can really be a pile of skah when the fighting goes inside. Way too many people, with way too many of them with no clue, and most of those with a clue, with little care. I try to avoid that fighting with Kaur altogether, I have another character which has unimax and he'll go in a Quasar, though still I fear my own side far more than the enemy. I go in lead the charge and then if succesfull try and stay out of the way. Although even that's not enough, some fool killed me a few days ago trying to shoot enemy infantry with a lancer, they were'nt even close to me.

Qef

Character Skills: Nope, still useless.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one more cert point and I'll have my basic balance...for bad base fights I like to run an ams and soak up SEP, as well as offloading CE all over the place.

If it seems a reasonable fight then I'll sneak in and try hacking and assasinating, or climb on board and gun something.

After almost 4 years though, basic Grunt charge in blazing tactics just wear thin on me.

Qef

Character Skills: Nope, still useless.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kr'Pog wrote:
Xorv wrote:
It's also great to hear that one of our players new to planetside is already having a good measure of success /salutes ... those posts about players dieing constantly and getting two kills per hour bring tears to my eyes...

If I don't cry Shocked , there is no reason you should have to, except you like to cry ( Smile ). I have fun, even if I die a lot. I really love to fix our platoons armored vehicles while they lay fire and explosions onto the enemy. The other thing I find endless amusing is something I call: "Get the bullets flying" (basically see if I can run out of ammo in an assault before I'm shot down).

Last night I managed 2 kills in the first 3 hours, there are days when your just the target. Happens to everyone, those days, get a cup of coffee, maintain an AMS ...and nod your head as the fodder cycle through complaining about how the sweeper needs nerfing.... Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Shadowclan Dark Moot Forum Index -> Emerald Shadow Company (Planetside) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: