Shadowclan Main Page The Shadowclan Dark Moot

CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   CharactersCharacters   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Wed 19 Sep 2018
Thu 20 Sep 2018
Fri 21 Sep 2018
Sat 22 Sep 2018
Sun 23 Sep 2018
Mon 24 Sep 2018
First truly fun day for me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Shadowclan Dark Moot Forum Index -> Emerald Shadow Company (Planetside)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bragor
-
-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: First truly fun day for me Reply with quote

Today I actually started getting kills and not getting lost inside of bases. I guess it just takes practice.

Tonight we fought for 4+ hours holding a base against both TR and NC. It was a 3 way battle with us in the fort in the middle. It reminded me a teeny tiny bit of fort defense without the red healers.

Quite a few people logged out disgusted that we weren't taking ground. I guess I just don't care about capturing yet another fort or tower or whatever. I just like good battles, and this one seemed pretty cool to me.

Starfire Max - wow.

Some hints for the starfire.

Starfire has guided ammo. If your targeting crosshairs are red at the time that you fire, that round will turn and follow the target. But the target can sometimes twist and turn and avoid it.

You can't shoot straight up. And since most bombers are trying to drop bombs in the middle of the compound, that means you can't shoot them. Get on a tree just outside the walls, or get by the ramp doorways on the outer walls for the best chance. In one battle a couple of us stood well off to the side of the fight and picked off plane after plane.

High flying planes are very hard to target if they are so high that you can't see them. You can see the bombs coming down and often point out in front of them to get a red crosshair, then fire a round, see where it turns and move your cross hair there and keep pumping and moving, following the missles until you've pumped all 8.

The Starfire is SLOW to reload and only holds 8 in a clip. Always fire all 8 even if its to fire them and waste them. You'll need all 8 and shooting 2, then waiting 3 seconds to shoot more means the plane is probably out of range already.

Robots that jump become planes and thus can be targeted with the homing amo. Plus jumping robots are slow and all 8 rounds can often land. I was taking down the big robots as they jumped trying to target the tops of towers. I also took down allot of MAX units as they jumped to avoid a bomber's bombs. It was cool to see all 8 rounds land unfailingly from a long ways off.

Someone mentioned carrying self repair kits or something. What are they? I didn't see them in the support tab. Not med kids.

Vorgak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a good round today. Unfortunately it seemed that if one thing wouldn't interrupt me, another would, so I got to be the spotty one today.

I'd presume that they mean the medkits. That or the engineering kits, though you can't use those while in a max suit....

Xorv

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the fight defending Lezor on Cyssor was a good one, we did eventually lose it and the content though.

Starfire is one of my specialties. It's pretty darn easy to use, but there's definately some tricks to using it, and strategy involded in using all typs of AA. I posted some stuff in another thread here, think it's near the end.

Quote:
You can't shoot straight up.

This is true, but the Starfire's targeting system is a weird thing, sometimes you can get a bomber as it passes over you, if you managed to get a lock and don't move your cross hairs it holds, and you hit them despite not even having the target over them. You need to get a feel for the lock on thingie, holding directly over the target isn't always the best option. I guess it's more of an art form than a science. Well either that or we can call it buggy Wink

Quote:
The Starfire is SLOW to reload and only holds 8 in a clip.

Your spot on with fireing your full clip at aircraft, but the slow reload can be overcome by manually reloading.

Quote:
I also took down allot of MAX units as they jumped to avoid a bomber's bombs.

Do you mean BFRs the big robots? Because only the Vanu have jumping MAXes.

Quote:
Someone mentioned carrying self repair kits or something. What are they? I didn't see them in the support tab. Not med kits.

That was probably me. I meant the recharge canisters for the armor repair applicator and glue gun. You can't use them yourself, but when people end up giving you lots of repairs they are going to run out, and will really appreciate you droping a refill for them. More important for the AI and AV MAXes, but I carry them on all of them. If we ever do lots of Gal drops, the two MAx units should carry medical applicator refills as well.

Bragor
-
-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xorv wrote:
Your spot on with fireing your full clip at aircraft, but the slow reload can be overcome by manually reloading.

How do you do that?

Vorgak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'R' key by default I beleive. It might be the 'E' key, it's one of the two. Wink
Khasha'an

Character Skills: Ghaka'ka fir'khanim

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"R" key reloads.

Kzog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to remap the auto-run button? It defaults to q but I've changed q to strafe-left.
Kursech

Character Skills: really really good ones

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be somewhere in controls, probably in the HUD or soldier menus if I had to guess.
Kzog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks, it was in HUD.
Krul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have finally found a good use for the AV (anti Vehicle) MAX. Fort defense! That thing really does a number on enemy Max units when in close combat. About the only thing better in close combat is the NC MAX that is a double shotgun or somesuch, however their weapon is only useful in close combat, the AV is also good at range.

One thing that SUCKED today was I repeatedly got locked because of other people jumping in front of me when Im defending a hall or choke point. The TR folks were a lot better about staying out of the way of MAX unit fire. The VS seem to not care and are constantly jumping into my stream of fire. So whats the best way to work off being locked. Just as soon as I would get the timer off I would hit some other idgit on my own team and the timer would double. At one point I had 30 minutes to work off.

Oh, and on the Reload thing. I reload constantly, and I mean constantly. Even if I just take one shot and have several left, I always want to have a full clip to fire.

Xorv

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have to do a lot of damage to your own side to get locked. In over a year of playing I have never even reached a 100 grief, hmm no that's not right I did get around that when I tried out the Thumper, but otherwise I hardly get any at all. So, the first thing is you need to change the way you use weapons when around your own side. I know some people are idiots and run in front of you, but it's going to happen a lot whatever faction we're playing, so you just need to stop firing unless there's a threat directly targeting you.

The thing with greif is, the more you have the faster it accumulates. So, best way for you to reduce it is to play another character for a bit and allow the grief level to return to 0. Either that or go full support in the situations where you seem to be accumulating grief.

Oh and the Comet will be getting a buff soon, so you'll rip up enemy MAXes even faster.

Krog Gug

Character Skills: *burp*

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumpers are easy to get a lock. I was locked for 30 mins last night.

How it works is when your at 50 or 100 grief and hit somebody you only get a few points. 3-4 points for running into somebody or shooting a stray shot at somebody.

but go past 400 or so and hit somebody and you can get 50-75 a pop. So it esculates tremendosly if you let it go. I could go down to 930 and then have one stray plasma frag hit two people and easily go past 1000 with just one toss.

For me i just don't use my thunper a day or two and I'm back down to a decent level. Still worth it since my high grief rate jumped me almost a full Br level in one night. Killed tons of enemy (just got a few of my own side in turn).

Spooks ~ City Of Heroes
Krogo ~ SWG Kettemoore ~ Boss
Krugh ~ Shadowbane ~ Urikhan
Krogs ~ Daoc Mordred ~ Nob
Krog ~ Daoc Guin ~ Grunt
Krog'Gug ~ Ultima Online Throquat Grunt
Spook ~ Planetside
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Shadowclan Dark Moot Forum Index -> Emerald Shadow Company (Planetside) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: