Shadowclan Main Page The Shadowclan Dark Moot

CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   CharactersCharacters   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Wed 13 Dec 2017
Thu 14 Dec 2017
Fri 15 Dec 2017
Sat 16 Dec 2017
Sun 17 Dec 2017
Mon 18 Dec 2017
Betrayal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Shadowclan Dark Moot Forum Index -> LOTRO Skribbulz
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bashel

Character Skills: Homicidal tendencies toward my own characters.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Betrayal Reply with quote

IC:

Bashel awoke suddenly, legs trembling slightly. She wiped a foreclaw across her brow and chittered softly. Anxiously. The nightmares she had been having... they were like plagues which fed on her insecurities. Something was not right. They had been fighting this war for too long. Word had not been sent. Victory was no more at hand than when it all began.

She drew her wretched bulk up and skittered out of her burrow, into the blessed darkness of the night sky. No moon this night, that was good. She hated its glare, even if it was better than its sister light. She glanced toward her queen's lair and shivered. For the briefest moment, fear held her still, and she knew not what to do. She almost returned to her burrow and to her nightmares.

A cold wind whipped its way throughout Gramsfoot, causing her to scuttle up. No. She had had too many nightmares. Too many dreams. She had to act on them. It was time to find a way out of this place.

Bashel glanced once again at Gobblemoss's lair and hurried out the passageway toward Dar-Gazag. She would find a way out. Find some way to exist outside of this war that refused to end. Her dark form slipped out, leaving nothing but a cold burrow behind.

OOC:

My goals and desires in playing this game have changed quite a bit over the last few years. I've lost my desire to role-play heavily in this game, maybe because it's been relatively stagnant, at least from a monster player's perspective.

So, I am leaving the Clan. I know what this means, and I accept the repercussions. I fully expect all of you to treat me like you would any other deserter, and I will role play Bashel's responses as I feel a deserter would.

For a while I considered just deleting Bashel and recreating another spider, as I love the class so, but really, that would just be circumnavigating the issue, and I already did that once.

Anyway, I want you all to know that I really loved the time I spent with Shadowclan; it simply has become a point where I feel it's time to part ways, hopefully amicably, at least OOC. If not, please understand there's no ill will from my end, that's not at all why I'm leaving.

I think I am going to start a small tribe myself. It won't have anything to do with role playing, so it won't compete with Shadowclan in any way. I won't try to lure members of Shadowclan away or anything like that. It will merely be a place for a few friends I've made outside of Shadowclan on various characters to hang out and enjoy (or not enjoy as the case may be) PvMP.

I hope for the continued success of Shadowclan in this game, and that you all enjoy your time in game very much. At the very least, if nothing else, I hope this provides another source of role play for all of you. Thanks for reading.

Gorbag Rotmakr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am posting to clarify Shadowclan's position on this specific situation. This is coming a week later than it should have because I wanted to provide this branches leadership & Shadowclan helm adequate time to provide input to me on the LOTRO Leaders forum before I posted this publically.

1. Shadowclan's position on the character "Bashel" who started this thread is that Bashel is NOT/NOT to be considered a clan traitor for reasons that I will go into shortly. Shadowclan members are therefore not expected to react in any particular way when seeing or even grouping with Bashel or any member or whatever tribe Bashel ends up in.

2. As of now and until further notice this branch is no longer allowing "local" recuits to join. "Local" recruits in this case means a character who has no previous Shadowclan experience of at least Grunt rank another branch. Players who would otherwise be considered local recruits who have a character of any rank in this branch are similarly exempt from any restriction with regard to any new alts. We love having new members join, and it is with great regret I must conclude we do not have the infrastructure in place in this branch to provide the right experience to totally new members at this time. That can conceivably change, and if it ever does we'll reopen the option once more.

I take full responsibility for this position vis a vis leadership and Shadowclan Helm.

Under ordinary circumstances a character of grunt rank or higher leaving Shadowclan is branded a traitor, full stop. In practice this has also applied to any known alts the player controls, and to the player him/herself in perpetuity. A Shadowclan traitor is always Kill On Sight (KOS) in any game supporting it. In other game systems (such as this one) not supporting KOS, traitors are generally just ignored (sometimes reviled a bit as long as it is in stream and doesn't cross the line into true harrassment), and Shadowclan members are prohibited from grouping with or supporting in any way the traitor and/or any guild/tribe/kinship/whatever they are in at the time.

Conversely, a player who leaves at a Gruntee rank (or lower if the particular branch has one) does so without issues. A player should never be forced into seeking a promotion to Grunt status, this is always perceived to be a special status within the clan and never a trivial "promotion" based on personal popularity or time served, etc. Grunt status should always be considered an honor and a responsibility.

The situation here is a little less clear cut however. The original Bashel who joined Shadowclan back in the early days of this branch, proudly worked his way up to Grunt rank, and was a valued and respected comrade and Clan member was actually deleted right about two years ago. With this current Bashel there has been (obviously) at least one "remaking", a transfer to & back from another server, a name change or two, one (maybe two?) reinvites, and at least one arbitrary rank restoration (this last thing would be my fault. See my point above on "trivial" ranking.) One last consideration here is that the actual playtime involved by this player as a member of Shadowclan on this server of any name or rank since the initial deletion of Bashel is a vanishingly small amount.

The above ruling is therefore made possible based on the fact that the REAL Bashel died two years ago. The current Bashel can be considered to merely be a clever impostor exploiting the gullibility of orcs who think all spiders look pretty much alike. In other words just another shardie who was lucky enough to find an open window to slither through, no more - no less.

A technicality perhaps, but one based on the facts in this case. In the interest of fairness if any of this causes any (either - I believe there are two active) locally recruited grunts concerns please see me in game and I'll adjust your rank to one with more flexibility with no questions asked.

In coming up with all of this, my foremost priority has been what is best for this branch of Shadowclan in this game on this server, including of course the players here. A close second/third (tied) is Shadowclan in general and the Landroval monster side community at large. Nothing of sentiment, personal feelings (pro or con), anything else personal, or slavish adherance to the untenable (in this instance) have bearing on these choices. I am after all a big believer in common sense.

I hope this is all clear, and I am sorry it has taken so long to get this out.

Dek'Oligz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traitor shmaitor. Back when I played pre-tribes you were a lot of fun to be around. A guild tag doesn't change that.

Once a clanner, always a clanner!

Have Played:
Dekoligz, Uruk Blackarrow
Dek'Oligz, Throquat Gu'Ligz'r

Check out my miniature painting log: Fullmetal Minis
Reitsuka

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorbag Rotmakr wrote:
Bashel is NOT/NOT to be considered a clan traitor
Rationale aside, it makes me incredibly pleased to hear this. The traitor policy is unnecessarily punitive in games outside of UO, especially exceptionally small branches like this one which aren't comparable to the more traditional, Shadowclan horde. I'd have been severely disappointed to see Bashel branded.
Gorbag Rotmakr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reitsuka wrote:
Gorbag Rotmakr wrote:
Bashel is NOT/NOT to be considered a clan traitor
Rationale aside, it makes me incredibly pleased to hear this. The traitor policy is unnecessarily punitive in games outside of UO, especially exceptionally small branches like this one which aren't comparable to the more traditional, Shadowclan horde. I'd have been severely disappointed to see Bashel branded.

Noted, and agreed as to the policy as it pertains to this game. That discussion is for another thread though.

Kurghaash

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully support Gorbag, the branch leadership and Clan Helm in their decision concerning Bashel. Having just recently come back to LOTRO I have seen a significant drop in play time on the Monster side (both Clan and overall). Playing with Bashel was always a pleasure and I would have been at a loss on how to react to Bashelbug's departure from the Clan. I can only look back to the first time we lost Bashel...

Repeated here below was my heartfelt response from then:

"My tribute to Bashel. Hope you guys like it.

BASHELBUG

Gadder roun latz urkz agh bugz,
Howlurz tu, lat need tu gruk
Ub a Bubhosh Bug dat shuk dis Uzg!

She wer blak az Burz
Swift deff on mani leg
Hunger in de flesh!

She runn’d de Moorz
Leed’n pakz ub Clan
Ober mani trayl agh paff

Krimp’n tark, gazat agh rat
Albai cower’d afor she hiss
Her breff wer deff!

Cunnin guile agh poyzun kiss
Fangs dat glisten in de burz
Slaverin fer foe flesh

Clan wayz her way
Gib awl she had
Su cubbies gruk paff tu follo

BASHEL she naym
Agh even tarkz howl fer she
Never mor dis uzg tu roam

Mudch bluud agh gloree
Her did bring
Fer Clan agh shardie tu

She fel ash muun
Brave Burzgoth cub
Leevin sister ahind tu morn

Howl Deff Chant tu Bahselbug
Oh Clan ub me own bluud
Lung will lat be member’d
By claw agh fang lat clomp’d de foe
Agh now owr paffz am sunder’d
HOOWAH BASHEL!!

Translation for the Elves, Humans, Dwarves and Hobbits among us

Gather round you orcs and spiders
Wargs too, you need to know,
Of a great spider that shook this world!

She was black as the dark
Swift death on many legs
Hunger in the flesh!

She ran the Ettenmoors
Leading packs of her clan
Over many trail and path

Snared human, dwarf, and hobbit
Elves cowered before her wrath
Her breath was death!

Cunning guile and poison kiss
Fangs that glistened in the night
Slavering for the foe’s flesh

The Clan’s ways were her ways
Gave all she had
So children grasped the path to follow

BASHEL was her name
And even her foes cry for she (will)
Never more this world to roam

Much blood and glory
Did she bring
To Clan and other beings

She fell one night
Brave Sauron’s child
Leaving sister behind to morn

Cry the Death Chant to Bashelbug
Oh Clan of my blood
Long will you be remembered
By claw and fang you fought the foe
And now our paths are sundered"

My respect for Bashel is undimmed by this honorable and thoughtful notice of termination of association with the Clan. I look forward to once again be running the Moors with the knowledge that Bashelbug is still out there!

Shagrut (and Carch his faithless Warg!)

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to, and including his life."
Gobblemoss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Ug Reply with quote

I agree this is the right approach. As has been pointed out, the "real" Bashel in fact deleted. After the player had a change of heart, a "new" Bashel was created and joined the clan, but obviously didn't have the rank the other had painstakingly earned. The new Bashel, it seems, has also been rather elusive, which also reflect that player's RL movement in terms of game pleasure to another style (less RP oriented).

The LOTRO Shadowclan chapter is atypical, since right now we truly don't have (and haven't had in a while) the numbers to provide the usual in-game clan experience. In addition, the instant-creation of MP characters coupled with the fact that advancing them, in a low clan numbers environment, doesn't really mean a need to build attachment to the clan for help leveling, earning money, etc. All those basics are handled better by roaming day to day outside the clan.

What the clan does offer is RP. Even with our small numbers, we have I think contributed quite positively to the RP environment in Landroval PvM.

Which brings me to point two. I also agree with the new recruit policy of limiting ourselves from here on out to previous SC chapter members. Unfortunately, the above mentioned dynamics make it much harder for Shadowclan to offer the classic new member any advantages and make is harder to socialize them in SC ways. An old clanner, by contrast, is already "broken in" and has already bought into the RP/PvP style we practice. They can easily melt into the RP and enjoy the game at the level it exists.

LOTRO MP remains very much casual oriented. But as our Oathbreakers event in 2009 did and the upcoming Axes of the Dwarves event this June (I hope) will show, we can still have some "sandbox" style fun with our imaginations, using the game as it is in creative ways.

For RP purposes, Gobblemoss will continue to consider Bashel as "the" Bashel, since the RP device I think was a return from the dead scenario. But there won't be any repercussions - in fact, she looks forward not only to seeing Bashel out there again, but also to another good spider tribe.

Gobblemoss will always treasure Bashel's time as clan-mate and wishes her well in her new endeavors (heh that sounded so formal).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Shadowclan Dark Moot Forum Index -> LOTRO Skribbulz All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: