Shadowclan Main Page The Shadowclan Dark Moot

CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   CharactersCharacters   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Wed 22 Nov 2017
Thu 23 Nov 2017
Fri 24 Nov 2017
Sat 25 Nov 2017
Sun 26 Nov 2017
Mon 27 Nov 2017
Things I Learned This Go Around

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Shadowclan Dark Moot Forum Index -> Turn-based Public Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baggi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Things I Learned This Go Around Reply with quote

1) Defensive Items are key. Last town we found 28 and made it to day 15. This time we have over 100 on day 20.

2) You need people to go out and scavenge and every town needs scavengers. Maybe it was just a coincidence, but Ganthar is a scavenger and he found 3 defensive items yesterday while Donkeyboy and I found zero, but carried the ones he found back to town.

3) Use up the items you have in the bank. This is one of those counter intuitive things ive learned this game. If you're short on pipes, or nuts and bolts, or a hacksaw, people will be driven out of the town to go and search for these things. Then, if they find them, they feel a sense of accomplishment and enjoy the game more. Hoarding items in the bank and saving them just means people feel safer, more cautious, and stay in town. So go ahead and build stuff like Screaming Saws and use up those nuts and bolts and drive the citizens out into the wilderness to find more, before we all die2nite!

4) Guardian is great! I love playing a guardian because I can move around all over the place without needing help from others. But we need more scavengers, so we should find some way to help those scavengers so that not everyone is playing guardians.

These are some of the things ive learned.

Gutlak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one of the best things for scavengers is for plumbing to come around fast and for people to clear lots of squares in the replenished zones. We do find better things and more things so the longer we're out scavenging the better.

Oesmiko: SWG
watarg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. For the next town start, I was hoping to get an idea what role people plan to play. I have played a guardian in the last 3 towns because we were always short of cp, and never got plumbing. Even with plumbing, it's still nice to be a guardian since you can grab a manbag, aqua, 3 pistols and bring a 19zombie zone down to a controllable 5.

I wouldn't mind being able to play scavenger next game to work on my achievements, but that requires those who are guardians to be active arranging expeditions early game, and clearing out zones once we have repairable weapons/plumbing.

I think the best pairing is to have 2 guardians, 2 scavengers per team for a total of 12cp. Early game, this lets us go out blind in case we go with the search tower 1-5 before watchtower.

2. scouts - only really need 1-2. If we don't go watchtower early, we will need the scouts to jump out at 23:30 to map the ones outside the town. If we go watchtower 2 before search tower 5, then we can skip scouts altogether.

3. weapons - plumbing is extremely nice in clearing zones. Barring this, we need to load up on knives/machete and repair kits which fill in nicely for guns in that they don't use up water and are reusable.

4. defense - on day 1, don't need to worry much about builds except search tower and workshop. Rest should go into scavving. Those who auto just outside town can go back and build. Heroes should try to deplete far corners and use heroic return to map out the whole map.

Gutlak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The groups that go out on regular expeditions would be better served if they had at least one scavenger with them. There were a lot of replenished zones just one square off the path people would take that had tons of zombies in them. With a scavenger there people would know when to go one square over and then up instead of up and then one square over to maximize zone clearing benefits as an example.

As well I was looking around and some websites are now claiming that zones have a total of 6 items in them with buildings have 10 before they are depleted. The numbers are handled separately. This is in contrast to the previous information that was on the web about it being search attempts. The buildings and zones are handled differently. For the link

http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/14050/how-does-depletion-work-in-die2nite

For scavengers as they deplete zones by finding all the useful zones so quickly it would probably maximize the benefit by a) having at least one around with each expedition; and

b) leaving a number of uncleared zones around for them to scavenge in. When they have depleted the items to be found then citizens heading out with containers can fill up their containers by picking up whatever is left on the ground as they scavenge through some zones. Not the most edifying job but very helpful to the town.

I would imagine a very efficient way to set up the waves (but if it doesn't work due to player schedules it's better to work with players than try to have players bend their schedules) would be to go:

a) The early expedition groups go out and while out they clear a bunch of zones. Their focus should be on clearing as many zones as possible while doing their expeditions and scavenging once in each zone so they fill up on things. At least one scavenger should be with the early expedition to point out what direction the group should head in.

b) The other scavengers follow shortly after and set up auto searching in zones. If they are a hero and if possible they can check in later and move on to a different zone as a scavenger hero will typically deplete a completely fresh zone solo in less than a day.

c) The late expeditions follow and if possible pass through the squares the scavengers are in to pick up useful items that are on the ground.

That would be nice to set up as it would be an efficient way to do things. Of course that has to bend with player schedules as if we have players who become so focused on a narrow view as to how everyone has to behave that they think the player has to do exactly this we're going to lose members of the town.

From how we set up the current town my opinion is something that would help is if we get plumbing earlier so we can clear more zones faster. If we can get more scavengers as well and clear enough zones so that solo scavengers and citizens can get there and not deal with so many depleted zones we would probably get even more longevity in the next town. On day 21 we currently have 107 objects at 8 points of defense. If we could get 7.5 a day we would have (rounded) 400 defense more than we have at this point. With the jump we had we would still be hooped but it might have been possible to find even more objects. If we could have achieved the beginning goal of 10 defensive objects a day we would have had 824 more defense at this point and would be sitting at 3055 defense right now. With the big rebuild we would have had a much better chance of weathering the spike we're going to get in two days.

The way we cleared zones worked well and got us a very respectable ranking but I think it would be possible to tweak it more. Currently with all the uncleared zombie zones at this late in the game I did not see any real point in a scavenger staying out that long as there was very little left to scavenge after all the expeditions got out there. While it would be nice if we could simply organize big expeditions involving all the scavengers real life schedule will make that type of coordination impossible and if we clear more zones so people whose schedule make it hard to to go on expeditions we could help them scavenge all night and bring in more items. A lot of this could simply be accomplished by changing the routes on a zone by zone basis if a scavenger who can make it can say (as in my previous example) lets go one over and then up as that's replenished because the zone that is straight up is still depleted.

As well I would suggest that instead of focusing on clearing paths to buildings (unless the building has something we really need) we focus more on clearing as many replenished zones as possible in the next town to maximize our item inflow. The more items we find the better the chance we get a defensive object.

All in all the town went great but I think we can surpass it next game.

Oesmiko: SWG
Azh
Old Admin

Character Skills: Grandmaster Grumpiness

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't need to have any dedicated builders. There are plenty of players who never leave town. I don't think we ever had more than 15-16 out scavenging on a particular day.

Ganthar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we have 4 coalitions I think we should assign a coalition to each corner of the map on day 1.

Things I learned this time around is to go out early and stay out as long as possible there were multiple times I'd find a defensive item right at 22:00-22:30 as I prepared to head end.

Meat is murder.

Tasty, tasty murder. Mmmmmm, I love it. In fact, I'm going to eat some beef right now. HOOWAH!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Shadowclan Dark Moot Forum Index -> Turn-based Public Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: