Shadowclan Main Page The Shadowclan Dark Moot

CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   CharactersCharacters   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Mon 12 Nov 2018
Tue 13 Nov 2018
Wed 14 Nov 2018
Thu 15 Nov 2018
Fri 16 Nov 2018
Sat 17 Nov 2018
Map of Camp / Future Planning Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Shadowclan Dark Moot Forum Index -> Xsyon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Map of Camp / Future Planning Thread Reply with quote

Ok, so I've tried to make a map of the camp to try and organize building ideas real quick.

First off, a screenshot of our camp from the mountains to the west.

Next, a rough drawing of what our camp's territory is like:

Finally, a map with a very crude grid on it to start organizing ideas for future buildings.

Sic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were to toss in my two cents, I believe we should start storing our lumber in 1, as it is closest to the trees up north.

5 should remain the storage area for finished crafts, food, etc.

I know Azh has been working on a wall around 7/8/9, I dont know if our territory goes that far to the river yet to touch it, but it'd be cool to perhaps fill the ditch with water for closer water access. I was thinking we could also place huts/tents in this area.

That's all i got for now.

Azh
Old Admin

Character Skills: Grandmaster Grumpiness

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sic wrote:
I dont know if our territory goes that far to the river yet to touch it, but it'd be cool to perhaps fill the ditch with water for closer water access.

Is that even possible? I was kind of curious, but our area of control currently stops just short of the river.

Zahblug

Character Skills: Shivs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible, I think as we get more members the control area will expand. When that happens we could extend a channel out to the river causing water to come flooding in.

Zulu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our territory is constantly growing and the walls/moats are meanwhile far within our territory. For instance does our territory at the trash now nearly reaches to the road.
As I am at it... these walls/moats are a pain in the neck when going out for granite or water. I often end up stuck in that f.... moat and loaded with 20 granite it takes a long time to get out of that and around to a real entry.

In addition, rather then being a defense, the walls currently hurt us and not an enemy. We cannot be hurt in our territory, thus there is no reason to defend the territory. But if we get attacked outside and want get back onto our territory fast, the walls are a blockade and prevent us from get fast to safety.

Zahblug

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think the walls and moats are a good idea in the long term, but we should take into account our growing territory size. It would be nice to get an updated grid map made, but I'm pretty sure as of last night section six stuck out just barely far enough to hit the water. If we get enough members, and expand out far enough we could probably reach the water on all of our borders. When that happens we could then make a moat on our remaining land borders making a sort of artificial island.

Also, I would like a channel of water to go into the base if possible. once we get water well inside the base, we could then fill up the channel, creating an artificial pond. This should allow us to fish and drink without leaving the safety of our base, or even getting near the edges. Maybe get the fishing pond somewhere in zone 6 or 5?

While we are invulnerable now in our base, it looks like that isn't always going to be the case, the possibility of tribal war keeps getting mentioned. With that in mind I think we should eventually prepare to have this territory well defended. With that in mind I think we can get more creative with our entry methods.

How many of you remember the krimp trap setups from the old uo orc forts? We could set up a similar choke point in our Xsyon base. The main advantage we have that can help this even further are the X shaped branch barricades. If we set up sort of a entrance hallway with walls and barricades, we can then have it so we run up the branch barricades to get behind any enemies to block them in.

I do think whatever our long term main defensive entrance is, it should be away from the junk piles, as it will probably require extensive terraforming. Perhaps we could set it up in square number 2? In the meantime we can leave 1 and 4 relatively untouched to allow easier junk collection while tribal war is turned off.

Azh
Old Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dug out part of the ditch to the river last night and water did spill in. Unfortunately, drinking wasn't an option. I don't know about fishing. Maybe I'll dig it a little deeper and see if that makes a difference.

Zahblug

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I had in mind for a possible fort entrance way. The pink blocks representing columns or solid walls. The staircases representing the X branch barricades that we can run up and over. Those branch barricades can only be run up one way, which means we can cross them to flank the enemy, but they cant run over them to get in at us. The brown rectangles would represent doors, if they exist in the game, if not, they would represent cheap to produce unfinished projects that we could complete in an emergency.

Basically we would have a decently long hallway that we could enter at any point from inside the fort, that the enemy has to travel the whole length of, that we could easily trap them in. If its possible it would be nice to make the hallway only one person wide.

Reitsuka

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zulu wrote:
Our territory is constantly growing and the walls/moats are meanwhile far within our territory. For instance does our territory at the trash now nearly reaches to the road.
As I am at it... these walls/moats are a pain in the neck when going out for granite or water. I often end up stuck in that f.... moat and loaded with 20 granite it takes a long time to get out of that and around to a real entry.

In addition, rather then being a defense, the walls currently hurt us and not an enemy. We cannot be hurt in our territory, thus there is no reason to defend the territory. But if we get attacked outside and want get back onto our territory fast, the walls are a blockade and prevent us from get fast to safety.

Growth is problematic only if you try to fit everything within the walls. If we grow beyond the walls substantially, we can always develop that area too, but separate from 'the fort.' That land isn't wasted simply because it's on the other side of the wall. We could eventually move the gathering area outside the wall, for example.

Grasknak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing we might consider is a motte and bailey set up. If our fort area is small and defendable and has enough room for the really hard to replace stuff, then we can retreat inside it when under siege. The area that fluctuates outside our small keep as we gain and lose member can be our first line of defence and fit the stores/ crafts/ buildings/ that are "easily" replaceable. I can even imagine having a small "well" area for water. All we'd have to do is run a channel in, then refill the section leading up to our motte.

Further investigation will be necessary to determine if fishing and / or drinking is allowed in these waters as Azh posted.

EDIT:: After further investigation, you can fish in water extended beyond the river but I have yet to get it where water shows up as a resource and therefore it remains undrinkable as of now. Back to more experimentation. (Our border doesn't quite reach the river and if we got even one more member, we could deepen the channel entrance. Right now, there is a tiny line of land which the water most flow over to enter our moat. Perhaps this might make a difference?)

Keep this in mind too:

All terraforming can be undone.

EDIT::I got in tonight and made access at the cardinal directions for others wishing to gain access so y'all can now walk across the wall area in four places 90 degress from each other. Other terraformers, plases leave this this way until we get a permanent plan for wall / terraforming / base layout. We can put the dirt back before it is necessary for defence.

Azh
Old Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water that we irrigate via terraforming is now drinkable. Also, if you try to flood a large area, the game will throw up a dirt wall in your way. Speaking of which, we now have a pond where the river gate used to be!

Zulu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our camp looked at from a little further away (Zuleika was out gather long wood for our buildings)

I still think that buildings make everything look a lot nicer, more so than just terraforming the area. Here an example from our norther neighbors, which nicely illustrates my point (and yes, I know wood is rare ... guess why I am out getting the long logs?).

Azh
Old Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chief's tent has all the materials available. Just need someone with decent architecture skill to finish it!

Guunzfub

Character Skills: Ahar!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they fail do we need more material?

Gungru --- SWtor Bounty hunter
Goh'ruk gro-Svar - ESO Hundred
Azh
Old Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guunzfub wrote:
If they fail do we need more material?

I'm not sure.

Zulu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azh wrote:
The chief's tent has all the materials available. Just need someone with decent architecture skill to finish it!

I know. Took me near four hours to climb up the mountains to get the needed wood (had to go two times).

I did not build the tent right away since I am afraid to lose the material.

Azh
Old Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like only the person who placed the structure can complete it. I tried last night just because I was tired of it sitting there waiting and found that it wouldn't let me try.

Ganthar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any one can complete the item as long as they know the recipe. I'm about 99% sure that's the case at least. In beta I put up some stone pillars on our previous fort and some one else completed them.

Meat is murder.

Tasty, tasty murder. Mmmmmm, I love it. In fact, I'm going to eat some beef right now. HOOWAH!
Azh
Old Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ganthar wrote:
Any one can complete the item as long as they know the recipe. I'm about 99% sure that's the case at least. In beta I put up some stone pillars on our previous fort and some one else completed them.

Well that might be it then. I only have the basic architecture recipes.

Speaking of which, where do we get sand?

Ganthar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The closest sand to our base is along that river behind our base heading south. It's about halfway between our old fort and our current fort. If you try to follow the river all the way south you'll end up to deep in the mist. The far bank has a bunch of it. The best way I can tell you to find it is go near our old fort and then go to the far bank and follow it north. Doing that you can reach the sand with out ever dying to the mist.

Meat is murder.

Tasty, tasty murder. Mmmmmm, I love it. In fact, I'm going to eat some beef right now. HOOWAH!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Shadowclan Dark Moot Forum Index -> Xsyon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: