Shadowclan Main Page The Shadowclan Dark Moot

CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   CharactersCharacters   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Wed 14 Nov 2018
Thu 15 Nov 2018
Fri 16 Nov 2018
Sat 17 Nov 2018
Sun 18 Nov 2018
Mon 19 Nov 2018
Youtube speed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Shadowclan Dark Moot Forum Index -> Computers etc.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gurbak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Youtube speed Reply with quote

Hey guys - Not a hardware question per se, but recently I have been unable to play youtube videos on higher than 360p or 480p without long buffering waits. I can't figure out why since I have a very fast internet connection (turbo roadrunner - the fastest provided) and a new high end computer. In the past I have been able to play videos on youtube at 720p no problem with little or no buffering breaks. It's not an isolated case as it seems to be a constant issue for the past month or so. Maybe it's on youtube's end - summer overload? Was just wondering if anyone else is having this issue.

Kraak/Gazzat - Mordred - DAoC
Gurbak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. On youtube you can go to a test page that shows your average video speed for the past month and mine took a steep dive at the beginning of July. The last 2 weeks in June it was varying between 10 and 18 Mbps, and starting in July it has ranged between 2 and 12 Mbps. Not sure what is going on.

Kraak/Gazzat - Mordred - DAoC
Gronk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is your internet provider? Many cable systems provide shared bandwidth to an entire neighborhood. It could be that a new neighbor moved in in early July and is sucking up all your bandwidth.
Kul'Gur

Character Skills: Fizt Shakun, Cane Whappin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you run through a router? I was having connection issues till I upgraded to a "F" band. I think it runs all frequencies 802.11 or whatever it is. An Ethernet cord straight to your modem should tell you if that's the problem.

Kulgur - Ghaash'Blud Sharkuu Nob
Kul'Gur - Bitur Wa'lusk-r
Steam Username - aclayttu
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Hin

Character Skills: Pie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting issue...

step 1: Try connecting your PC directly to the cable modem (or equivalent) and compare speeds.

step 2: http://speedtest.net/

step 3: Try connecting at some odd hour at night, like 3am - 6am, and see if it compares to 7pm - 10pm

Gronk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be VERY careful with Step 1. Bypassing your router puts your PC on the outside of your firewall. The life expectancy of an improperly secured Windows PC connected directly to the internet is measured in seconds.
K'Dahbruh
Old Admin
Old Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gronk wrote:
Be VERY careful with Step 1. Bypassing your router puts your PC on the outside of your firewall. The life expectancy of an improperly secured Windows PC connected directly to the internet is measured in seconds.

My firewall is on my PC/laptop: Comodo Free Firewall.

Zortee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gronk wrote:

Even with a router, I have a firewall on my system...There are some threats that will attack your system directly, and if you have a laptop, and happen to use wifi somewhere....

Yeah...put a firewall on your system...I've had decent luck with Comodo as well...

Zortee - Gruntee Heelur Shaman, Kuuk'r Goth - Retired
Bleeding Hollow WoW
Zortee - Wargod's Own Grunt - SP - Retired
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Shadowclan Dark Moot Forum Index -> Computers etc. All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: