Shadowclan Main Page The Shadowclan Dark Moot

CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   CharactersCharacters   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Wed 13 Dec 2017
Thu 14 Dec 2017
Fri 15 Dec 2017
Sat 16 Dec 2017
Sun 17 Dec 2017
Mon 18 Dec 2017
Elite: Dangerous

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Shadowclan Dark Moot Forum Index -> Future Branch Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gragarn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Elite: Dangerous Reply with quote

https://www.elitedangerous.com/

So a small number of my friends and I have been playing this game recently. I have personally fallen in love with this game. For those unaware this game takes place in the year 3300 and the games-pace is the entire Milky Way Galaxy, all 400 billion star systems. As far as I can tell that's not fluff, this game is literally the entire Milky Way. I like to call it Mount & Blade in outer space. It's a full sandbox world where you can choose your own path as a fighter, trader, explorer, use diplomacy, etc. but from a Starship. The game can also be played solo, in a private group, or in total free open world. But even if you pick solo mode you're in the same universe as the multiplayer world, just other players won't spawn in your "instance."

There are 3 major factions and hundreds of minor factions that more or less control the political space of the galaxy, but you the player start unaffiliated with any faction. There's also a central news network called Galnet that keeps track of both galactic news and local news (depending on what space station you are docked at). So the news will document major events that players hold, and I believe the developers are creating a program where players can become news writers as well. But other than that it serves as an immersive and cool way to keep track of the "lore" of the universe as it progresses, and how you might be able to shape it.

The combat is really fun. At first I thought it was a little slow, but once I started fighting stronger and stronger enemies it got really intense. The major downside is this game is not keyboard/mouse friendly when it comes to piloting. I use a 360 Gamepad for controlling my ship in flight/combat with the keyboard being used for a lot of the extra buttons (side thrusters, landing gear, FSD, etc.).

Exploring the Milky Way is REALLY fun as I really like how they've handled hyper space. I also enjoy that I can make a living off exploring star systems. When you explore a star system you can scan the different planets, asteroids, suns, etc. and record them into a log. The better your scanner/the more time you spend scanning the more details you can earn and the more valuable the data becomes. You can take this data to far away star systems and sell it. Also the newest update made it so that the first player that finds a star system gets credited on the galaxy map as the first person to discover it. So far only 0.000223% of the galaxy has been discovered so there's plenty of exploring to be done.

Trading is more or less like in Mount & Blade or any other similar game. Keep track of where goods come from, buy low & sell high, etc.. I haven't personally done a lot of this, but from guides I've read/watched it is VERY VERY lucrative.

I would say the games current biggest downfall is there is pretty no system in place for keeping in touch with friends easily. You can form "groups" but the mechanic itself doesn't really do anything but make sure you and your "group" members stay in the same instance. The chat system is REALLY terrible. Voice Comms are necessary to function at all in a group. There's also no way to see/track your friends on the map or in the world in any way, other than for them to say where they are and for you to physically target lock them. The good news is the update coming in March is specifically going to be addressing these issues.

I have really been enjoying this game with what little free time I have to play. Just putting on a headset, sitting back with a gamepad, and flying through the galaxy and shooting up pirates has just been a real treat. If anybody is interested in playing my character is named Garrinard.

-Garrinard, Elf Shadehunter (Archeage)
Battletag ID, Noahjam325#1446
Steam ID, Noahjam325
buubdug

Character Skills: artifice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be scared to count the hours spend on the original on my C64. Haven't had the resources to get this but it is on my wish list.

Grazzak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the gameplay really like? Most of the videos I have seen is just dogfights but there must be more to it than that.

Gragarn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only speak from my personal experience, but I'll do my best to describe the gameplay from my point of view. Dog fighting is probably the most common activity because it has the lowest barrier of entry. You can earn a small amount of credits very quickly early in the game by dog fighting. Dog fighting also has tons of different gemplay within that "genre" of activity. You can go to a system where there's civil war, pick a side, and collect bonds for killing the enemy. You can be a regular bounty hunter and scan for wanted men/women. This could leave to interdicting (which is forcing a player out of hyper-speed more or less) which involves a fun mini-game. You could be a straight up pirate and just kill traders and take their cargo and sell it on the Black Market. I've even stumbled into police ships chasing a wanted crime boss and helped them take the guy down for a nice bounty of credits.

All of those activities have an effect on the system you happen to be doing them in. These different activies will form how individuals and factions view you as a character, and could potentially change the political climate. As an example I recently went to a system having a civil war between Pro-Corporation people and anti-corporation people, where the pro-corporate side was currently the people in charge, and the opposite were trying to overthrow them. I personally joined the anti-corporate side and it's a very satisfying feeling that I could help completely change the economy and government of this entire system and I was being paid to do it. It's simple to grasp with a lot of room to grow. As you upgrade ships/armaments and your own skill level you have a clear path of progression.

With that all said, that doesn't mean the other elements of the game aren't as engaging. I've actually found the more I play, the more I enjoy doing activities that are not dog fighting. Exploration is personally very fun for me. I like to play music in the background while I fly from system to system. I actually feel like Chris Pratt form Guardians of the Galaxy when I have my headphones on, the controller in my hand, and just the open galaxy to fly around in. Navigating to different planets, scanning them, flying to mining areas to gather data and getting jumped by pirates, evading enemies as you fly at hyper speed from destination to destination; these are all just as satisfying as dog fighting to me. Because you have to take exploration data 20+ light years away from its source it forces you out of your comfort zone. You have to plan your trip just like you would a road trip in real life. You need to make sure there are enough gas stations along the way to make the journey, and each place you stop could be a new system to scan and explore all by itself. The only reason I don't do more exploration is because my current ship isn't built for long distance travel.

Now on to the activity I have the least amount of experience in; trading. Now I haven't done a lot of this activity, but I have read a lot about it. It's easily the most lucrative of all 3 main activities. If you don't like games like Euro Truck Simulator or trading in Mount & Blade you probably won't like trading in this game. If you do then you'll find a market the size of the Milky Way Galaxy. There appear to be plenty of resources online that keep track of trade data for different systems commonly traveled, but it's also fairly easy to do just with the in-game map. The in-game map can show you imports and exports of different systems if you either a) already know the trade information, or b) buy the trade data. It functions like you would imagine, buy low and sell high. Except now you have to carry it across the galaxy to where it will sell the most. So you become the prey while other players and NPC's hunt you for your goods. Just like the other 2 activities it can affect the economy and stability of a particular system. The potential to starve or overpopulate an economy of resources is something that can actually happen.

The other benefit of trading that I've learned is that it probably has an even lower barrier for entry than dog fighting. Dog fighting is the easiest for an average player to "just get." Trading can require a bit more thought/nuance. But I would argue that trading is actually much easier to break into than either of the above activities after having played the game for a bit. The ship you start with has I believe 4 cargo slots, which can be upgraded to a max of 6 or 8 (I forget which). The first actual "freighter" class ship is the 3rd cheapest in the game. The first being the ship you get for free. Buying the Hauler is very easy to do; it costs very little in comparison to most of the other ships in the game. The Hauler can be upgraded to have 20 or 22 cargo slots. So you could easily make a lot of money early in the game by investing in mercantilism. I think some of the easier runs with a fully upgraded Hauler can make say... 150,000 credits per trip. The Hauler itself is only 50,000. It appears with a little drive you could have some profitable and fun trade adventures.

There is one more activity in the game, but I literally know almost nothing about it, and that is mining. I know you can mine asteroids and scoop the ore and refine it into metal inside your ship. But I've never done it so have no knowledge of it whatsoever.

Now after describing all of the 3 major activities the one thing I would like to conclude with is thus. The only reason I'm not doing all of them regularly is because the different ships in the game are built for a particular purpose. There are some ships that are designed as jack-of-all-trades master of none, but they're somewhat expensive (at least for me). The Sidewinder you start with can be modified to get your feet wet or head start in any of the above activities, but to excel in them you need to have the right tools/ship. Right now I'm personally going for the Viper first to excel in dog fighting. Once I have my Viper somewhat decked out I plan to purchase the Hauler and also do trade runs when I don't feel like fighting. Then eventually purchase 3rd ship and deck it out with the best thrusters/hyperdrive with as little mass/weight as possible with nothing but a fuel scoop and a discovery scanner to just explore as far as I can. So I hope to eventually have a small group of ships that I can customize to fit the different activities I'd like to do.

That's probably the best description I could come up with for the different gameplay. That's not even touching on the immersion of the universe itself. Navigating into spaceports, docking, entering and exiting hangers, hailing other ships/stations, etc. which all enhance the gameplay listed above. Or even talking about how traveling to any destination is essentially a mini-game of managing your momentum so you don't overshoot but still get there as fast as possible.

Steam ID, Noahjam325
Grazzak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use to play EvE and ED seems to have many similar occupations (trader, miner). No dog-fighting. Have you played Eve? If so, do you find it similar to EvE?

Gragarn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played the 14 day trial of EvE many many many years ago, but I didn't find the game gripping enough to continue playing past that point. The only other information I know about EvE is that it takes a very long time to get into the "big leagues" and spreadsheets are very important.

With those in mind I would say that ED has elements similar to EvE, but executes them differently. Using my limited knowledge of EvE; ED would appear to have a more static world, but the potential to have it controlled by/shaped by the players in theory sounds like it could have the same depth as EvE in terms of galactic conquest. I don't know how mining/trading works in EvE to really compare those activities. The most elements I'm familiar with are that corporations are run by players and corporations essentially "rule" the galaxy. So I guess they would be closer in that respect? ED doesn't have any sort of direct crafting mechanics like I think EvE does, or anything like that.

Just with my limited knowledge of EvE I think the best way to summarize; it seems ED puts more focus on action and has the game itself handle some of the things that an EvE player would have to do themselves. But that's a tough call to make because each update seems to give more power to the playerbase, just not in the same way EvE does (as far as I understand how EvE works). The only other way I can think of to describe it; the game can seem a bit like a theme park MMO at first glance, but the deeper you go into the game the more off-rails and sandbox it becomes. The developers current updates and future updates reinforce the idea that players are the ones in control. Where EvE is no hand-holding whatsoever.

Steam ID, Noahjam325
Khargug
Clan Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this sounds intriguing

Shadowclan Discord server
Grasknak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote if we get something going, it's analogous to how the Firefly operates.

Find a crew. Find a job. Keep flying.

Gragarn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anybody decides to jump in and play with me I just want to reinforce that the in-game mechanics for communicating with and working with other players are REALLY terrible in the current implementation. Voice comms are absolutely needed if you want to play with friends in any reasonable manner. Keeping track of friends on the map itself is not possible, and difficult to do while flying through space. The good news is the update coming in March for the game is specifically going to address these issues. So far I've only learned about a mechanic that involves forming "Wings" with other players (which I assume is the game's terminology for groups or squads), being able to track other players on the galaxy map, and overhauling the chat system.

So if typing and/or group play is very important to you I would recommend waiting until march before looking into buying the game.

On that same topic it looks like the Devs also have updates in the works for actually landing on planets, and walking around inside the larger ships. Similar to Star Citizen I imagine.

Steam ID, Noahjam325
Murgosch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This game seems like it will be great once its done, I've been watching The Mighty Jingles videos on it and a few other gamer channels and it seems like it just needs a tad more work to be worthy of buying, player capitol ships for bases etc.

But I am definitely interested in it.

Gragarn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://hosting.zaonce.net/elite/newsletters/newsletter_201502_27/Peek.jpg?utm_source=Elite%3A+Dangerous+Newsletter&utm_campaign=7d183b2855-Elite_Dangerous_Newsletter_64&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_eb767c006f-7d183b2855-304138665&ct=t%28Elite_Dangerous_Newsletter_64%29

This is a preview of the Wings system UI. This update fixes the chat system and adds a real party system that allows you to identify and group with other players much much easier. This update is slated to be released next Tuesday. This update pretty much fixes the biggest issue I had with the game so I'm going to be plugging in a lot more hours.

Steam ID, Noahjam325
Gragarn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the first ever player-created faction war has gone into effect over the last week or so. Players created a faction called The Crimson State Group in the Lugh system. The developers are basically playing dungeon master while they implement mechanics to make the entire thing possible. They are trying to take control of the system from The Federation and make it an Independently system controlled by the locals. There are multiple community events to support either the The Federation or The Crimson State Group. Everything from straight up fighting in war zones to smuggling stolen military data to delivering weapons, medicine, food, etc.. My friends and I have formed a Wing and have been making a HUGE pile of credits smuggling secret military plans for The Crimson State Group. The player created faction setup an undercover listening post on the Federation controlled planet of Lugh 6 and we've been jumping their transport ships, blowing open their cargo hatch, and stealing the military plans that fall out. Then we smuggle it into a Federation controlled space station where the player faction has double agents.

This is a HUGE event with a ton of different elements. There are tons and tons of rewards to be had by helping either side, and depending on how each side progresses will determine how the war shifts and each individual players is rewarded based on their individual participation. What amazes me the most is that the developers are facilitating this. There's no default mechanic to allow this to happen so the developers play dungeon master and tweak the values as needed. It reminds me of old days in MMO's when GM's would login and creae fun stuff for players.

Edit: Checking the game today and it looks like our efforts at Lugh 6 have forced the Federation to retreat and abandon their assault on another Crimson State Group space station. The Federation also killed over 9,000 Federation citizens because they thought the Crimson State Group leader was going to be among them. The Khaka system is currently gathering weapons and conscripts to help reinforce the Federation in Lugh, but it looks like the efforts of the people supporting The Crimson State Group are destabilizing the Federation in the system.

Steam ID, Noahjam325
Gragarn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just posting an update from the newest newsletter. It has some small details about the upcoming Powerplay update with a screenshot of one of the new drones.

Quote:
This week on the Elite: Dangerous forums Executive Producer Mike Brookes revealed the first details about the upcoming Powerplay content update, promising a whole new method of interacting with the galaxy and more information in three weeks' time.

Powerplay is our biggest content update yet, adding a number of game-changing features to Elite: Dangerous and offering you new gameplay options whether you prefer the life of a trader, explorer or combat pilot. Some of the new features will be massive; others will be smaller, but no less meaningful.

"One part of Powerplay involves balancing the different roles further," Brookes says. "Part of this is expanding the drone system. Collection drones will be added and will prove useful for pirates needing to gather cargo in a hurry and also to improve mining efficiency."

And a new fuel drone will let players swap fuel while in flight. "Players can act as buddy tankers for each other," Brookes says. "Larger freight ships can carry additional fuel for their escort fighters and extend the effective range of their wing."

Collection Drones work in two ways. In its primary mode, you'll target a cargo canister or mining chunk and launch the drone, which will scoop the object and return it to your open cargo hatch. The secondary mode has an area effect, scooping everything it can before its power expires. Drones are disposable, consumable items you'll have to replenish at a starport, so there's still reason to learn how to use that cargo scoop.

Drones are just one of the smaller upgrades to Elite: Dangerous we'll be making with the massive Powerplay content update. We'll have more in a few weeks; until then, take an early look at the Collection Drone in this week's Newsletter Peek.

http://hosting.zaonce.net/elite/newsletters/newsletter_201504_02/Collector_Drone_Screenie.jpg?utm_source=Elite%3A+Dangerous+Newsletter&utm_campaign=3d707afe65-Elite_Dangerous_Newsletter_65&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_eb767c006f-3d707afe65-304138665&ct=t%28Elite_Dangerous_Newsletter_65%29

It's a pretty big image so I didn't want to embed it.

Also some Shadowclanners have been asking me questions and showing interest in the game. ED just released on Steam, but original buyers don't have Steam Keys yet (but we might be getting some). So if anybody wants to see footage of the game in action you can add me on Skype (noahjam326) and I can stream the game through Skype. You can also just send me a message through Steam or just contact me on Skype if you have an questions.

Steam ID, Noahjam325
Grasknak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now available on Steam like Gragarn posted

Link:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/359320/

Khargug
Clan Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picked this up. On sale on Steam. Got it for $40.

Shadowclan Discord server
Gragarn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been busy for most of the summer at work and just came back from a long vacation. In addition to no longer being single, which eats up plenty of time as well. Although I'm going to start trying to get my new lady friend into Elite: Dangerous so if anybody has me friended they should be seeing me around this weekend at least. Hopefully more if she gets interested.

Steam ID, Noahjam325
RiFaugh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... It's been many years since I've posted in these forums, but I play EVery Happy! So, I'd be down to fly with SC. In-Game name is Edalyn Isagar.

If SC were to become active in EVery Happy, I'd recommend backing that pirate faction in Power Play.

greevil

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RiFaugh wrote:
Well... It's been many years since I've posted in these forums, but I play EVery Happy! So, I'd be down to fly with SC. In-Game name is Edalyn Isagar.

If SC were to become active in EVery Happy, I'd recommend backing that pirate faction in Power Play.

What's the consensus; are folks interested in being pirates? It does seem like a fairly natural fit, especially since some historical Carribean pirate crews were run along share-and-share-alike lines.

I was mulling over ideas and thinking, more or less, "what would be the opposite of the Federation," and I thought, "Hmm. How about anarchists? That would be a change of pace."

I know, I know; someone will knee jerk that "anarchist organization" is an oxymoron, but there have in fact been anarchist organizations, and even anarchist military units (they were very active in the Spanish Civil War, for example).

An anarcho-communist or anarcho-syndicalist faction could fit pretty well with the normal Clan sharing rules. If someone wanted to do things differently, an anarcho-capitalist kritarchy organized along the lines of the Icelandic Free State or the Hanseatic League is a possibility.

Gragarn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently pledged to Arissa, but I wouldn't be against joining the pirate faction. My main ship is the Imperial Clipper; which is currently one of if not the best pirating ship.

Steam ID, Noahjam325
greevil

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gragarn wrote:
I'm currently pledged to Arissa, but I wouldn't be against joining the pirate faction. My main ship is the Imperial Clipper; which is currently one of if not the best pirating ship.

How much do you like the game in its current state? There's a lot of kvetching on the forums about the supposedly primitive state of game systems, bugs, and lack of quality-of-life amenities, and of course griping about the price of the base game and the forthcoming expansion. What's your view of these matters?

(Some in the xg gaming group are eyeballing Elite and it would be good to have input from someone who's been playing it.)

Grasknak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heya greevil.

In its current state, I like the game on a part time basis. From my understanding, you can do only a few things:

Trading- Buy goods from one place at a lower price and sell the at another place at a higher price.

Smuggling- Acquire illicit cargo and deliver it to a place it is not legally allowed.

Bounty Hunting- Search for persons with outstanding warrants and blow them up for a cash reward.

Pirating- Search for folks carrying cargo you'd rather have and acquire it through breaking open their cargo hatch and retrieving the goods your own self. Then selling it on the black market (since the goods are marked "stolen") The last part is speculation, I've never done this.

Exploration- Pick a direction and head that way, scanning unexplored galactic bodies along the way (the data files of which you can sell at stations a distance away (20ly min I think)

The game takes place in a partially accurate recreation of our own milky way galaxy. There are hundreds of billions of star systems to explore. It is my understanding some are procedurally generated A small section of this is "inhabited" by the in game governing factions of which the "three big ones" are The Alliance, The Federation and The Empire.

Each system and each station will gave a few system-specific factions who are vying to "take over". (E.g. Such and Such Incorporated or Such and Such Confederation) Some system factions support the galactic factions and some are independent. At most stations the is a Bulletin board that will have several "jobs/mission" you can choose to accept. these request you to do one of the previous activities listed (aka, Deliver this or steal that or kill a specific guy or a subtype(pirates, bount hunters, etc) of guy.) Sometimes these system factions go to war and "conflict zones" appear that you can sail to and enter and pick a side to fight for.

Further reading on the wiki: http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Elite:_Dangerous_Wiki

Ships are customizable in the you can choose among several subsystems and loadouts from the many available. Variations include size, weight, cost and effectiveness. Currently there are only around 20 or so hulls from which two choose, three of which are faction specific (Do jobs for x faction until you have enough rank to be allowed to purchase the ship)

I play the game an hour or so most night these days if the mood hits me but feel no compelling desire to play every night. Sometime I log on and there's no missions I feel like taking and then log right back off.

There more to it, but that's the major stuff which comes to mind immediately.

Ok, that's all I got for now.

Cheers

P.S. Faction wise, I'm a Browncoat at heart - "Governments are only good for getting in a Orc's way."

greevil

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasknak wrote:
Heya greevil.

[...]

Ok, that's all I got for now.

Cheers

P.S. Faction wise, I'm a Browncoat at heart - "Governments are only good for getting in a Orc's way."

Hey, Grasknak; nice to see you. As it were.

Thanks for the input. I pretty much know what can be known by reading the Elite website; I was mainly interested in impressions from playing, for which I thank you.

I'll be intrested to see whether anyone else complains about the things that folks in the Elite forums are complaining about. If not, I'll tentatively infer that things are not as bad as those people are making out.

Yeah, go browncoats. Free companies FTW.

Glikta

Character Skills: BOOM and RUN

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play ED on a regular basis... If anyone wants a big fish to swim with there I would be happy to help out w/ some grinding and such. I could help get ppl off to a good start and give some advice.

Look me up as "Roger Over Unger" in ED if you need a buddy w/ a big boat.

Qol GundHai: EvE online (INACTIVE)

Qol: Archeage (ACTIVE)

Powdrd Toast Man: Day Z SA (ACTIVE)

Roger Over Unger: Elite-Dangerous (ACTIVE)
Gorbag

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to play this a lot. Been thinking of grabbing the latest update on steam and giving planets a whirl. Anyone else playing?

- Gorbag Gro-Malog, Legate (ESO)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Shadowclan Dark Moot Forum Index -> Future Branch Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: