Shadowclan Main Page The Shadowclan Dark Moot

CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   CharactersCharacters   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Tue 13 Nov 2018
Wed 14 Nov 2018
Thu 15 Nov 2018
Fri 16 Nov 2018
Sat 17 Nov 2018
Sun 18 Nov 2018
Planetside Branch - Vanu on Emerald
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Shadowclan Dark Moot Forum Index -> Emerald Shadow Company (Planetside)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K'Dahbruh
Old Admin
Old Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Planetside Branch - Vanu on Emerald Reply with quote

First, it will be a Shadowclan-lite branch. We won't use the name 'Shadowclan'. Thus, we don't have to follow the full rules of Shadowclan.

We'll pick a name that's close. 'Shadow-something'.

We're Vanu on Emerald.

Rules:

1. No stupid names. No trademarked names. Make them something that could be a real nickname. Bob, Fuzzy, Gimpboy = all ok. eL33T, Gandalf, Titsluvr = not ok. Orcish names are ok, since, in a way, they're our nicknames.

2. We remain kid-friendly. No profanity.

3. Teamspeak is encouraged, but not required. (I won't have it - can't on dialup.) We need someone to host a server. Keep it clean, and on game matters. We discuss basketball scores on the boards. Silence is ok - you don't have to fill the silence with craptalk.

4. No trashtalk. If you want to do something with the enemy, kill them.

Can anyone think of any more good rules? Or have disagreements with these?

---------------------

Post, in this thread:

The names of your characters (once you're in game and have actually created them).

Suggestions for the guildname.

Last edited by K'Dahbruh on Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:36 am; edited 2 times in total
Xorv

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So, for now, we're Terrans on Emerald.

/sigh
/grumbles

Khasha'an

Character Skills: Ghaka'ka fir'khanim

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the pros/cons of each?

1.8Gb DL, gonna have to do it overnight and hope its done when I wake up.

K'Dahbruh
Old Admin
Old Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khasha'an wrote:
What are the pros/cons of each?

If you ask Xorv, he'll tell you that the Vanu have the best of everything! Smile

I suggest getting in-game, trying them out, fighting against them, find out for yourself.

You're only allowed to join one faction on each server, to prevent cross-faction cheating, but there are at least three servers, so you can try all three.

And, conveniently, they have training barracks where as a brand new character you can try out all the weapons and vehicles. You don't get combat experience with them, but still, it gives you a feel for the differences.

Xorv

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K'dah's not far off the mark on my opinion. Vanu do have the best tank and the best AA, and no real downsides to them at all, unless you have something against laser type weapons or the colour purple.

TR's advantages are few, and they have a number of significant drawbacks. Their infantry weapons are the best in my view out of all the empires for outdoor fighting, but no outdoor fight is won by infantry in Planetside. Their vehicles require an additional crew member over other empires equivents to get out their full potential. Their MAX suits must lock down in place to get decent firepower and become sitting ducks. For some bizaare reason their combat knives are three times as loud in secondary mode than the other two empires... anyway I could go on, but like K'dah said go see for yourself ... do keep in mind that almost all equipment takes some practice you really can't make meaningful judgements on what's good and what's not after just a couple of days play.

Also, you can play all empires on each server now, but their is a cool off period before you can switch.

Frug'Kog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm downloading it now, gonna try it out with guys.

I had played this back in beta, but at that point there were only a few of us playing, and I had other stuff going on I think.

-Drinion, Champion (Landroval)
-Kreth, Pure-blood Assassin (Jung Ma)
Lugnakh

Character Skills: Sleepin...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote is still for TR. Part of what made playing with SC fun on Siege was winning in spite of not using the best gear. Well that and those purple #$#*$ get on my nerves Very Happy
I guess I'll have to download it again. I just recently deleted it, though I'm not sure its exactly the same version. And I'll have to find that website where the guy had the info to kill those awful ads.

What about using Shadow Coalition again? Or Shadow Company or something else that vaguely fits the millieu?

Xorv

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My vote is still for TR. Part of what made playing with SC fun on Siege was winning in spite of not using the best gear.

You can do that in any empire. Play Vanu, wear standard armor use only a beam pistol, set it on armor piercing and go fight tanks, you should be delighted in your gimpness Wink

I think that's what disturbs me most of all about our empire choice, it's the reasons or lack of them for choosing TR. If some Knowledgeable TR fan came and made a post laying out why TR is a good pick, and with a plan / vision of how we would operate as an outfit using their equipment, I would feel much better about it. Yet, so far it's "what I played two years ago", "I like the colors", and "I like being gimped."

I supose it could be worse, we could be NC. Nothing wrong with their equipment, but it has been my observation that they seem to have the largest pool of the immature and obnoxious. Something about those bright yellow and blue colours that just attracts those sorts I guess.

Zrug'Pug

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've heard a lot about this game from a old friend, and was just curious about it

how much it cost monthly?
any big flaws in the game? is it well balanced?
website?

Xorv

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
how much it cost monthly?

Nothing if you don't mind certain limitations

Quote:
any big flaws in the game? is it well balanced?

Despite my complaints about our empire choice, there are no earth shattering balance problems between Empires. Certain battlefield roles come off a lot more rosier than others such as Air Cav, but nothing that is so outragous as to spoil the game. Remember it's easy to change what your character can do, and Planetiside is a FPS, both of these make it a lot more balanced than a regular MMO.

Other big flaws? Yes, despite being an older game, it requires a fairly hefty computer to run smoothly, particularly in large battles. Less than a gig of RAM will set you at a disadvantage.

Quote:
website?

I posted a link in the my thread on Planetside here in the general forums.

Someone mentioned the annoying Ads. They have been disabled for now.

Akru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Planetside Branch - Details Reply with quote

K'Dahbruh wrote:

Post, in this thread:

The names of your characters (once you're in game and have actually created them).

Suggestions for the guildname.

Akru

The Shadow

Kzog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quugug

"The Shadow" sounds great.

Or, if we are going to be a roving Galaxy-load, "The Shadow of the Dragon". Smile

Khasha'an

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Other big flaws? Yes, despite being an older game, it requires a fairly hefty computer to run smoothly, particularly in large battles. Less than a gig of RAM will set you at a disadvantage.

All the more reason to be a sniper and sit far back from the main action and shoot at people. I only run 512 MB RAM.

As long as I can find a nice patch of bushes or some trees or walls to hide behind and take shots at people I'll be fine.

However, a sniper who cannot conceal himself is pointless; So my next question is. If I want to be a sniper, do most maps offer cover for me to hide in? Are there stealth abilities in game that a sniper could use?

K'Dahbruh
Old Admin
Old Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khasha'an wrote:
If I want to be a sniper, do most maps offer cover for me to hide in? Are there stealth abilities in game that a sniper could use?

Yes. No.

Kursech

Character Skills: really really good ones

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things I like about TR:

- Cycler is my favorite indoor MA for ambushing infantry (sort of in the way you would use a sweeper, only the clip size lets you kamikaze better-ish). On the other hand, gauss and pulsar aren't bad at that either, and both of those have other nice advantages the cylcer doesn't have...

- MCG both looks cool AND sounds cool. On the other hand, the JH does too, is easier to learn, and is more effective in a larger variety of situations. The lasher itself looks cool, but the orbs look kind of dumb IMO. Sound is decent but nothing spectacular. Easier to learn than the mcg and has a more solid niche like the jh.

- Marauder is the only ES buggy worth using IMO, but buggies aren't really too popular anyway...

- Striker can scare away planes

- Despite the lockdown concerns, ai/aa max are both still pretty good..I mean, I'd rather have either VS max instead, but I'd take the flak over NC rockets as a personal preference (and of course I'd take the scat max over any of the other two ai maxes)

Things I don't like about TR:

- Prowler is the worst tank. Mags and vans both seem to make big impacts pretty often. Seems like prowlers just roll out and get blown up, even fully manned with a good crew. They're just too slow and too big a target.

- Worst anti-air, though this can be fun if you get a burster and dodge libs since vs/nc mossies/reavers seem to get lazy against tr.

Things I like about VS:

- Lancer, lasher, mag, shiny purple armor, jetpack maxes, the fact that starfires and quasars are awesomeness, and of course the MAG oh god the mag

Things I don't like about VS:

- no jackhammers

Last edited by Kursech on Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Kursech

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops...

Apparently they patched during a time when my isp was being dumb and I pretty much had no connection for a few weeks.

Burster might be better against libs now so TR lib problems might not be as bad. They made some switchblade nerfs which makes me very happy.

Zrug'Pug

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wooaaa....

13 hours Sad

good thing i got school!......and sleep

Khasha'an

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zrug'Pug wrote:
wooaaa....

13 hours Sad

good thing i got school!......and sleep

I got my DL'ed in about 3. Very Happy

Mul

Character Skills: Stalking

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine Dl in about 30 minutes. I have a super computer though Cool And I played WoW during the DL. Dual Chips FTW.

Ju'ru

Character Skills: stealth, hiding, fencing, tactics, healing, anatomy, resisting spells

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yet, so far it's "what I played two years ago", "I like the colors", and "I like being gimped."

That made me burst out laughing for several minutes. Man, that was funny!
Because you are right!, the reasons given for playing the TR haven't been very convincing =).

Nocturne

Character Skills: MACE!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So who do I contact to get hooked up?

Noc- Planetside
Qef

Character Skills: Nope, still useless.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I'll be reactivating...my main was NC Emerald, so I may not be able to go TR right away.

NC has the Phoenix, god I love the phoenix, phoenix and sniper rifle was my main loadout. And AMS is my vehicle of Choice, I love the support points. And NC anti Air Max gave me an airkill count twice as high as all other vehicles combined.

Jackhammer was the only MA I could ever use acurately, so I'll be stealth/MA/sniper/ce/burster at the start, maybe AMS driver if the new tutorial gives enough points. CE will take about level 10, so sniper/stealth/burster/ma/ams...ya,

ogur

Character Skills: Getting around message board filters!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so frickin lost in this game.

Kursech

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How so?
Khasha'an

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should make a troubleshooting/basic gameplay thread:

So far here is what I've experienced.

1) I don't know how to retrain my guy so I can be a sniper.

2) I can't figure out how to fire my weapon. The mouse buttons don't do anything and I didn't see "Fire Weapon" or "Fire Secondary" on the keymap menu.

3) I keep getting disconnected from the server every 10 seconds or so (perhaps Norton Firewall getting in the way)?

any suggestions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Shadowclan Dark Moot Forum Index -> Emerald Shadow Company (Planetside) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: