Shadowclan Main Page The Shadowclan Dark Moot

CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   CharactersCharacters   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Tue 18 Sep 2018
Wed 19 Sep 2018
Thu 20 Sep 2018
Fri 21 Sep 2018
Sat 22 Sep 2018
Sun 23 Sep 2018
Planetside Branch - Vanu on Emerald
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Shadowclan Dark Moot Forum Index -> Emerald Shadow Company (Planetside)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K'Dahbruh
Old Admin
Old Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember what AMS stands for, but it's the vehicle that is a mobile base. You drive it somewhere, and then activate it. At activation, it becomes a spawn/re-equip spot for your team. You can get anything for light or medium armor there, including all of the engineer devices/bombs and all the different guns/ammo.

Also at activation, it puts up a cloak that keeps any enemy from seeing it.

So, you drive it out, find a good spot (out of the way so enemies don't accidently find it), activate it, get whatever you want out of it (engineering gear while you set up defenses, then switch to your sniper gear). You then move away from it, set up, fight. If you die, you spawn back at your own AMS, where you can re-equip and move back out.

If things start getting too hot and heavy, you jump back in it, drive to a new spot, set up again.

Assuming you don't get blown apart - they don't have much armor.

Xorv

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that command rank (CR) abilities will allow enemy players to see your deployables, and this can help them locate your AMS. So although it has a cloak, it's not immune to detection, especially when you stack tons of CE around it.

That's another thing for new players. Notice you get constant invites into squads? Generally speaking many of those players inviting you are not doing it out of the goodness of their heart or sadly even to lead, but to use you to gain command rank. Which will eventually allow them to spam nonsense in special global chat chanels and gain access to orbital strikes to pad their kill count, as well as see enemy positions and deployables on the map.

Kursech

Character Skills: really really good ones

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally wouldn't go the ce route for a sniper.

For br6 I'd probably do something like

ma (2)
bolt driver (3)
rexo (3)
ams (2)

Last point maybe atv or something.

Reason being that with rexo you survive better against other snipers (two medkits to get above 65hp after taking one shot instead of 3 to get above 75hp in an agile). Rexo can carry a sweeper without switching out the bolt driver which can be useful in case people get close or if you ever go indoors, and of course with the ams you can always just get new armor instead of repairing while you are out sniping. CE is 5 points and the main benefit (defending against cloakers at the ams) is pretty limited IMO.

Kursech

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also the fact that in rexo with the sweeper you feel a bit less defenseless at close range than you would with just the repeater and bolt driver, and it opens the repeater holster slot for something else (like plasma nades).
Kursech

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could drop ams completely and use other peoples', put a bunch of extra ammo and medkits in your atv trunk and just use that to drive around to your sniping positions (it's faster and less of a priority target anyway). Then use the extra points for a burster or something. Or drop rexo too, go back to the repeater/boltdriver setup with plasma nades in the last holster, and get a dc max instead of the rexo.
Khasha'an

Character Skills: Ghaka'ka fir'khanim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are various explosives like mines purchasable that are usable for non-engineers? I'd like to have something set up to warn me of stealthers, unless someone wants to hang around with me as the spotter to keep an eye out.

When we form our outfit and go out in squads here is the role I envision myself playing: Support Sniper.

This means I'll sit out on the edges of battle and pick off runners, weak or injured infantry, and maybe enemy mines/proximity devices.

Kursech

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khasha'an wrote:
Are various explosives like mines purchasable that are usable for non-engineers?

There aren't, but to an extent I think you are over estimating the threat that cloakers represent. There are some good cloakers that really will be able to sneak up and mess things up for you, but most of them are either getting killed before they get in/out of a base, off flying a mossy and bailing onto towers or rooftops, or trying to sneak up on you but getting seen by you or people around you and killed.

Other snipers, vehicles, and aircraft will cause more grief for you than cloakers.

Khasha'an

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kursech wrote:
Khasha'an wrote:
Are various explosives like mines purchasable that are usable for non-engineers?

There aren't, but to an extent I think you are over estimating the threat that cloakers represent. There are some good cloakers that really will be able to sneak up and mess things up for you, but most of them are either getting killed before they get in/out of a base, off flying a mossy and bailing onto towers or rooftops, or trying to sneak up on you but getting seen by you or people around you and killed.

Other snipers, vehicles, and aircraft will cause more grief for you than cloakers.

Ok. I'll scrap Combat Engineering and maybe pick up medical and better armor for the sweeper shotty.

Krul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should name the outfit: Shadowclam
Khasha'an

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krul wrote:
I think we should name the outfit: Shadowclam

GAH! Enough with that!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K'Dahbruh wrote:
I can't remember what AMS stands for,

advanced mobile station or some such Very Happy

I think training simulator gets you to CR3 not CR6 (if you equip/try everything)

Fey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guest was me Smile
Qef

Character Skills: Nope, still useless.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kursech wrote:
Or you could drop ams completely and use other peoples', put a bunch of extra ammo and medkits in your atv trunk and just use that to drive around to your sniping positions (it's faster and less of a priority target anyway). Then use the extra points for a burster or something. Or drop rexo too, go back to the repeater/boltdriver setup with plasma nades in the last holster, and get a dc max instead of the rexo.

The CE gives you something to do when sniping isn't viable, as well as allowing you to keep your stuff repaired, Health up or not, once your armor is fragged your a lot more exposed to the world.

But it's a matter of choice Khasa, I've been on and off the game since beta, and I always end up respecing CE.

Qef

Character Skills: Nope, still useless.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well watching a 2 hour patch, eating a bowl of my wife's chilli, drinking a beer, spinning Stevie Ray on the cd player.......

Nugug

Character Skills: biology, 200 alcohol tolerance

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just as a reminder to all you snipers out there, especially those with fodderside accounts..you really will be fodder when it comes to anything other than sniping..especially when everything is done as an outfit.

to be much use inside of a base (which is where a lot of the action happens at) you either need the dual cycler max or HA/rexo/AV ect to be really effective, because in an agile suit ect you will go down pretty quickly

another thing to consider is that since so many people will be limited when it comes to certs, think about getting certs that give you plenty of bang for your buck, for instance the uni-max cert gives you all 3 maxes for 6 points, and the burster/dc max really rocks (especially so now that burster just got upgraded) with the pounder still being useful insice of bases to take out other maxes, also the buggy certs and other light vehicles aren't really useful with the fury and skyguard being the exceptions.

the most important vehicles, especially if the clan wants to work together a lot, would be ams, prowler, and galaxies...personally there is nothing more dangerous than a well done gal drop on top of the enemy base or tower..i've been part of gal drops that completely changed the tide of a battle (tower fights lasting forever and then suddenly gal dropping on top and tearing through everyone or dropping on top of a base or at the back door and taking out the gens at a base to take out the power)

just a few suggestions =)

Fey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one thing I haven't seen anyone say yet is to save different loads then you can reequip with few clicks (seems obvious, but still..)

I had infantry, stealth, CE, vehicle etc loads on same character

Khasha'an

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fey wrote:
one thing I haven't seen anyone say yet is to save different loads then you can reequip with few clicks (seems obvious, but still..)

Those make more sense for enlisted folks and not for reservists. As a reservist I can specialize in one activity. I chose sniping; I just need to get a feel for where to situate myself relative to the action.

K'Dahbruh
Old Admin
Old Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khasha'an wrote:
Those make more sense for enlisted folks and not for reservists. As a reservist I can specialize in one activity. I chose sniping; I just need to get a feel for where to situate myself relative to the action.

Actually, different loads will still be important. If you're my gunner in my tank, I want you carrying a glue gun (if you're an engineer) and extra ammo for the tank, no matter what you usually carry. A sniper becomes a gunner by just getting a different loadout and jumping in the tank - no special skills necessary. Well, except for knowing how to aim the gun.

Xorv

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khasha'an you probably don't want to hear this but you really need to let go of the idea of being a full time sniper. Even changing battle location or whole zones chassing battle circumstances suited for sniping will leave you lots of time twiddling your thumbs with little to do.

Khasha'an

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xorv wrote:
Khasha'an you probably don't want to hear this but you really need to let go of the idea of being a full time sniper. Even changing battle location or whole zones chassing battle circumstances suited for sniping will leave you lots of time twiddling your thumbs with little to do.

Well, I could scrap Engineer and CE for whatever cert I need to have a rocket launcher and just blow ships out of the sky while I'm not sniping or something.

Xorv

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you really want both engineering and medicine as a sniper, your going to get injured, and if your not in close proximity to a base, tower, or AMS your out of luck. Also without those two support certs you better hope you can kill an opposing sniper in the first exchange, or else your probably going to lose. Although Engineering + med packs will give you a little more mileage.

Lugnakh

Character Skills: Sleepin...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get points for support activity, so you might wanna keep Engi and CE, you can help out by repairing vehicles, turrets, maxes and even grunt typs, and you can help on defence by mining and using spitfires. You can even use mines and spits in an offensive role for area denial etc if you dont mind dying a lot Wink

My backup character was pretty much what yours sounds like, sniper with CE, only difference is I had cloaker as well so I could do stealth mining. When the fights went indoors I grabbed a bank and stayed behind our maxes trying to keep em repaired.

Vorgak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I was thinking of doing, was going for a cross between a stealth hacker/assassin and a medium infantry. Is that viable as a fodder char? How important is hacking in the grander scheme of the game? Also, aside from the obvious, what's the advantage of going with a MAX suit over say going with reinforced armor and using different guns?
Khasha'an

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got 8 kills with my rifle last night and I took the certs to use a Reaver/Mosquito so that I have something to do when not sniping.

I die a lot sure, but respawn points are plentiful (at least from what I've seen so far) so and wearing Agile Armor suit I will die in two shots anyway (not enough time to medkit up or use the armor repair doohicky thing). I will have 2 more certs at BR6; I think I might train to use a lightning or whatever other light armor - or maybe upgrade my flight certs so i can transport troops as well.

Fey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khasha'an wrote:
Fey wrote:

when I reactivated this winter for a month I never got past CR6 but I still had different loads. I was support type with adv med/adv engineering (so i quit cos there was noone worth supporting Very Happy) and that ment full support load, infantry, magrider gunner, vehicle/support hybrid, trap load, trap/infantry hybrid etc

ymmv but even when I had beginer sniper I had several loads to be able to adapt fast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Shadowclan Dark Moot Forum Index -> Emerald Shadow Company (Planetside) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: