Shadowclan Main Page The Shadowclan Dark Moot

CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   CharactersCharacters   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Wed 14 Nov 2018
Thu 15 Nov 2018
Fri 16 Nov 2018
Sat 17 Nov 2018
Sun 18 Nov 2018
Mon 19 Nov 2018
Tell me more cool things to try

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Shadowclan Dark Moot Forum Index -> Emerald Shadow Company (Planetside)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bragor
-
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Tell me more cool things to try Reply with quote

The starfire max has been a blast to play with. Jumping into trees or on top of the antenna on tower and blasting planes from the sky is fun.

I just saw Xorv talk about stealthing around and knifing people in medium to heavy armor with his bionic implanted arms. That sounds like it would be a blast too.

What else should I be trying for fun semi-solo aspects of the game?

Xorv

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just saw Xorv talk about stealthing around and knifing people in medium to heavy armor with his bionic implanted arms. That sounds like it would be a blast too.

In my opinion cloaking in Planetside can be the biggest blast, it can also be the biggest frustration.

Speaking of knifing, there's a lot leading up to the point that you actually attack someone with your knife. Slipping behind enemy lines, avoid being run over by your own side as well as the enemy, crawling around for ages so as to avoid detection, being shot at by your own side, running into CE, dieing to random Dark Light users (I kill tons of cloakers by flicking DL on and off, so do many others), Being close to ineffective in enemy bases with Interlink, avoiding mossie radar, audio amp users, have idiots or new players give your position away by moving near you and firing at the enemy... I could go on and on. After managing to get through all that, your sneaking up on a pair of snipers, and swosh in comes a Reaver and kills them both. Took the Reaver 10 seconds to go from the base to that ridge to kill them, might have taken you as much as 30 minutes. Also while new players are often easy victims, more experienced players, will often turn around and waste you the second they hear the knife as you draw it to attack. The satisfaction of killing mutliple REXOs at once with a knife does make up for all the headache... somewhat.

Oh and that character that does the knifing has Darklight (for detecting enemy cloakers, and mines ... very important when using the an ATV), and enhanced Targeting (to see if your actually hitting with the knife, sounds weird but it's easy to miss on someone moving a little), in addition to melee booster. Sensor Shield would be great to, but you can't have four implants.

Maybe even more satisfying than knifing the enemy, is to hack their own vehicles and then kill them with their own equipment. Like last week I was buzzing around on my Wraith and lay down some mines at a choke point. Not long after a TR tank drives by over the mines, but they weren't enough to take down all its armor and shields. The driver gets out to repair, whille the gunner covers him in the tank. I sneak up and hack the tank, and the gunner is ejected, i hop into the machine gun side of the tank and kill the driver. An enemy Reaver comes in to assist them and I kill him with the machine gun(yeah that was the most amazing part), gunner looks like he's trying to hack the the tank back, I gun down him. Hop out of the tank onto my wraith and drive on. However, stuff like that doesn't happen all the time, you'll probably get run over far more often than you get to do something like that.

Good equipment to try after using the starfire, maybe the other MAXes, especially the Quasar. Lightning tank, I love the Fury, great fun. all of those things are cheap in certs and low on the frustration side of things. Also, as reluctant as I am to add more annoying Air by recomending Air Cav, it is both cheap in certs and very effective.

EDIT: some more advice... If your set on trying cloaking, try at first using the AMP pistol or captured NC shotgun pistol, they are the easiest to use to take out a single target. I'm assuming your low BR and only have one implant slot. That slot would be much more helpful to you being slotted with Darklight, Enhanced Targeting, or Sensor Shield, than using it for Melee Booster. If you still really like running around playing ninja amongst tanks, you can get Melee Booster later when you have more implant slots.

Mlar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Laughs you can try out the thumper, but not for too long.
There are too many players who seem to think that when the enemy charge at you, you have to charge back(right into all the suppressive plasma that you have layed down). The end result is that you very quickly get Grief locked.

Qef

Character Skills: Nope, still useless.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xorv wrote:
Quote:

In my opinion cloaking in Planetside can be the biggest blast, it can also be the biggest frustration.

Testify!

I think Sensor Shield is absolutely critical, especially on Interlink links., Being a purist, I used to fight stealthers without DL, but, so many newbs use it now, I am forced to work with ACEs and AMP pistol, until I can get to 18 for the 3rd implant.

Another fun thing is to hack a base or towers, then hide and wait for them to come resecure, 1 Guy, you can take out with AMP or Knife while he hacks, more fun to get 3 or 4 guys and drop a boomer on them.

In heavy fights, find their medical and engineering posts behind lines and boomer clumps of medics .

I tend to avoid heavily used sniper locations anymore, due to the Rever thing, and hunt the good snipers, the guys that know better then to set up in a line with 20 others on a ridgeline.

Another satisfying form of snipe hunting Wink is finding that sniper that sets out spitfire turrets than crouch and place yourself with the sniper in the spitfires line of fire. always satisfying to kill them with their own tools.

Finally, there is the grenadier stealther, load up with some plasma, frag and emp grenades. Emp is really good for tossing on CE's laying mines.

otherwise lead with an emp to shut down their DL, and toss frag or plasma to your hearts content.

I am seriously considering dropping CE to take up Unimax again, relying on the Comet max to take out Gens and base equipment once inside.

The key to succesful advancement as a stealther is quality kills over quanity. Get those 400 and up high point kills in the backfield, and leave the 35 pointer farming on the spawn areas to the killwhores.

Finally, how to know if your having an effect? Hate spam, if the enemy is talking at you about what your doing, your making an impression on their night.

Razz

Xorv

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensor Shield is a critical component of cloakers whos primary objective is to hack bases etc and avoid all combat. It uses stamina and needs to be maintained, thus not a great choice to be used along side with melee booster which drains 10 stamina with each secondary knife attack hit.

Darklight and to some extent Audio Amp are very effective in defending against and hunting down cloakers. Darklight is also worth getting just to help avoid mines for light vehicle and outdoor MAX users. Audio Amp is probably the best implant to have for tower fighters. Nothing "Newbish" about using something that works well. If you want to be more of a battlefied assassin I would pass on Sensor Shield, and just avoid bases that have Interlink.

Quote:
Qef Wrote:
Finally, how to know if your having an effect? Hate spam, if the enemy is talking at you about what your doing, your making an impression on their night.

This isn't entirely true, even in Planetside the majority of players have more maturity than to be sending childish tells to those that killed them. I have actually recieved only positive or neutral tells from victims in all battlefield roles but one, AA. There's something about Air CaV that draws in the worst of the player base, probably because it's very powerful and provides instant gratification with little waiting around. My ignore list is full of whiney Air Cav players, only other type of people that make it onto the list are those that spam broadcast or global with rubish.

K'Dahbruh
Old Admin
Old Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xorv wrote:
This isn't entirely true, even in Planetside the majority of players have more maturity than to be sending childish tells to those that killed them.

I get a lot of gloating spam. Half the time I'm killed I get a "I'm really sorry!" as they're standing over me. They aren't mature - they're just too lazy to look up my name and send me a tell - it's a lot easier for them to hit the voice commands to gloat.

Xorv

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voice Commands aren't quite the same as someone sending you a tell to call you all sorts of names and start an argument. I've seen a lot of very immature behaviour no doubt, not defending the Planetside player base in that regard, but in terms of so called hate tells, I have only ever got those from a dozen or so Air Cav people.

Vorgak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually gotten a few tells asking me what the heck I was trying to do (normally after I do a chaos run through an enemy base). Some of those discussions end on a rather funny note.....
Xorv

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
normally after I do a chaos run through an enemy base.

You voted for grenade hugging Cobra didn't you Vorgak? Laughing

Vorgak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I was in favor of the deamon-headed doofus, seeing as that's what I'm most oftenly confused for. Wink
Narak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I once found extremely annoying was a cloaker placing down spitfire turrets in the middle of enemies. He got me every time, but then again I had no implant to detect him. But I suppose he was having fun Very Happy
Kr'Pog
Fishi
Fishi

Character Skills: Watchin'ya from the depths of sea

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I learned to love last moon is the Uni-MAX (made 46 kills that moon contrary to my former record of 10).
Be it defending a base, attacking a tower or attacking a base, there is always something very useful I can do.

Attacking a base:
If there are many flyers around on the enemy side I use my Air MAX and shoot at whatever flies around. Many a time I managed to calm the activity at the sky down to near zero.
Next step is to use my Armor MAX and shoot those defense turrets in pieces, if lucky one or two tanks of the enemy die in that run too.
Last and final step is storming the enemy base, I like my Anti-Troop MAX and making a dent in the enemy foot soldier population.

Attacking a tower:
Most times the same as the final storming step of a base, I use my Anti-Troop Max and shoot whatever moves. If just our own peoples weren't so dumb to run into my fire line. *sigh*

Defending a base:
It is very worthwhile to use the Air MAX, I shoot whatever moves from a safe position (for instance stand under one of those bridges close to a wall).
If the base gets stormed finally, the Anti-Troop Max really shines (at least for the number of kills).

Else I really like to be someones gunner, it just feels right to blow things up as team.

p.s.: I am still looking for someone to try my "Flail"-certification[artillery] out with. Therefor I need someone to mark the target with one of those Uplink devices (can be found under "Support").

*bloop*
Qef

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xorv wrote:
Sensor Shield is a critical component of cloakers whos primary objective is to hack bases etc and avoid all combat. It uses stamina and needs to be maintained, thus not a great choice to be used along side with melee booster which drains 10 stamina with each secondary knife attack hit.

On the contrary, on continents where the enemy owns the interlink, I find it critical when in a SOI of an enemy base to avoid detection long enough to have some effect in combat. Without it, I get people blindly firing on the red dot on their radar, and even spitfires ignore my stealth. Since one can change Implants on the fly in Sanc or at a bio lab, it's not a huge issue to adjust to the current situation.

Xorv wrote:
Quote:
Qef Wrote:

This isn't entirely true, even in Planetside the majority of players have more maturity than to be sending childish tells to those that killed them. I have actually recieved only positive or neutral tells from victims in all battlefield roles but one, AA. There's something about Air CaV that draws in the worst of the player base, probably because it's very powerful and provides instant gratification with little waiting around. My ignore list is full of whiney Air Cav players, only other type of people that make it onto the list are those that spam broadcast or global with rubish.

I added 17 people in the two weeks, for tell spam. To be honest I don't look to see how many are Air Cal, but the latest memorable one came after I charged in a back door after a lull in grenade spam to kill 3 injured TR hiding in the alcoves with my sweeper. Two of them were spamming so fast it was laughable. The one was obviously not to bright, call me a Jackhammer Whore in multiple sends, but a quick ignore always silences that.

17 people, and I only add the really annoying ones. Like those that think Race, Religion or Sexual Preferences have some effect on perceived skill in a twitch game. The mundane ones just get a smilely and I go on. Wink

Xorv

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qef, from what you posted above on interlink and sensor shield I don't think we're in disagreement. Other than in that you choose to go in fight in interlink facilities as a cloaker and I do not. Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't you show up on interlink radar when you make an attack, sensor shield or not?

Regard to hate tells:

I'm feeling really privilaged or something, as I am not, nor have I ever received the quantity of stupid tells like some of you are experiencing. I don't need to check up whether a tell has come from an air cav player, since it's almost always the case that I just shot them down in my AA MAX, they bailed and managed to kill me in my AA MAX, or I "interupted" their Air "duel" over the battlefield. Without exception AA vs. Air CaV is the circumstances of all the hate tells I have received to date since playing Planetside. Since Coming back I have only had two as Vanu, and I think it was one as TR. I wish there was a way to put all enemy on ignore it would clearly save some people having to listen to a load of BS.

Khasha'an

Character Skills: Ghaka'ka fir'khanim

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cloaker placing spitfires and mines everywhere always seemed like it'd be fun.

Qef

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xorv wrote:
Qef, from what you posted above on interlink and sensor shield I don't think we're in disagreement. Other than in that you choose to go in fight in interlink facilities as a cloaker and I do not. Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't you show up on interlink radar when you make an attack, sensor shield or not?

Regard to hate tells:

I'm feeling really privilaged or something, as I am not, nor have I ever received the quantity of stupid tells like some of you are experiencing. I don't need to check up whether a tell has come from an air cav player, since it's almost always the case that I just shot them down in my AA MAX, they bailed and managed to kill me in my AA MAX, or I "interupted" their Air "duel" over the battlefield. Without exception AA vs. Air CaV is the circumstances of all the hate tells I have received to date since playing Planetside. Since Coming back I have only had two as Vanu, and I think it was one as TR. I wish there was a way to put all enemy on ignore it would clearly save some people having to listen to a load of BS.

1) You show up as soon as you equip something in your hand. The trick is to equip quickly for the kill, unequip, slink away and rinse wash repeat. this is very ineffective in the base, but outdoors, only the sharpest cookie activly waiting for the cloaker finds him. Also, yes, I am one of those that goes in and gets the hack when the attack starts, disruptionn value is good, survivability after the fact is poor.

2) You are lucky, or else I am just an easier name to recall. most my kills come as a stealther, and that does seem to stig people more, especially if the sit next to you for 5 minutes while you wait for the opportunity to stike.
<shrug>

Xorv

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Cloaker placing spitfires and mines everywhere always seemed like it'd be fun

It can be if your doing it behind enemy lines or amongst enemy troops, but since your not engaging the enemy directly it can be abit dull in a way. My Wraith always has a loadout of 9 ACEs and stack of EMP grenades (mostly to clear enemy mine fields). I do like going out in big vehicle fights and laying down mine fields in the enemies resuply line from their base to the battlefield. You can net a decent amount of BEP doing this, but it's no where near as thrilling as directly fighting infantry, hacking vehicles etc, at least not for me.

For a low BR player interested in being a cloaker I would recomend CE cloakers. For a BR6 cert:
Inf suit (2)
ATV (1)
Engineering (3)
Combat Engineering (2)
Medicine (3)

Other than driving a Fury not much you can do alone aside form cloaking, but such is the life of the low BR player.

Quote:
Qef Wrote:
You are lucky, or else I am just an easier name to recall. most my kills come as a stealther, and that does seem to stig people more, especially if the sit next to you for 5 minutes while you wait for the opportunity to stike. <shrug>

Even for the especially dim, of which I assume there to be many in Planetside, can't be that hard to type out Kaur or Nibili, so must be luck Wink

Seems to be certain weapons that draw more rage from players than others: Reaver, Mosquito, AA MAX, AI MAX, BFR, Jackhammer, AMP pistol are the ones that come to mind from reading the the skah that is the Planetside Forums. Do you use the AMP when you get all this hate Qef? I don't know doesn't really matter /ignore add "morron" and it's all good anyway.

Kr'Pog
Fishi
Fishi

Character Skills: Watchin'ya from the depths of sea

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest thrill I have when we are attacking a base for over an hour, with noone really able to push into the base. Then comes Fishee in his "Troop Max"(you know, the one with that seeming endless ammo), waiting for the own side to cease fire for a second, waiting for the other side to reload (they have to reload those rocket launchers at one point) and then I push in.
I do not care about the front line of enemies, I run straight through into a position a little safe and start shooting down all those people in their defense positions. Normally I make 3-4 kills that way, but the much more important part is that our own troops finally find the braveness to storm.

It's funny, two times I already was able to turn the battle for us that way. It is a very satisfying feeling to see a base fall to us just the second you stormed it finally.
One time people even recognised what I had done and revived + fully repaired me as a sign of their "Thx". (such support felt great)

*bloop*
Qef

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xorv wrote:
Do you use the AMP when you get all this hate Qef? I don't know doesn't really matter /ignore add "morron" and it's all good anyway.

Yep, except when I can score a repeater....than I am sniping at MA range, those really get some "Love" tells. Twisted Evil

Bragor
-
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that the 7 day "change spec at will" is over, I'm not finding the game nearly as much fun.

I'm working on getting back the unimax cert, but it's taking a long time to unlearn 6 points, and in the meantime I'm pretty useless.

Xorv

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bragor,

If your a Reservist consider making a second character, you can play the new one while you sort out your certs on the old. Then have two characters that can specialise in different things you like to do. That's what I would do if I was a Reservist.

Qef,

I think both Kaur and Nibili have lockers filled with quite a few Repeaters, find yourself next to me near a locker feel free to ask for some. Nice pistols, but I'm usually happy to use the Beamer in the same role. I'm holding onto my NC pistols though Wink

K'Dahbruh
Old Admin
Old Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 3 BR6s, and might make a 4th.

Lightning/Tank/AAMax/CE
Unimax/CE
Mosquito/Hacker/CE

If I make a 4th it will probably be:

Sniper/Mosquito

Though, with my bandwidth limit on getting close to masses of players, snipers have limited utility for me. (If I can see them, it's too close.)

Qef

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xorv wrote:
Bragor,

If your a Reservist consider making a second character, you can play the new one while you sort out your certs on the old. Then have two characters that can specialise in different things you like to do. That's what I would do if I was a Reservist.

Qef,

I think both Kaur and Nibili have lockers filled with quite a few Repeaters, find yourself next to me near a locker feel free to ask for some. Nice pistols, but I'm usually happy to use the Beamer in the same role. I'm holding onto my NC pistols though Wink

Beamer is fun, but I go get that core pistol by the trunk full, got about 20 repeaters in my locker...but only one NC pistol Sad

I don't like the beamer when lots of people are around, thats what the repeater is for Smile

The NC pistol on the other hand...grand for shoving into the back of the head of snipers.... Very Happy

Logged on last night for a bit and went 18 /6 with Repeater and Boomers, with a special 3 for one deal in a tower when they came to hack and stopped to shoot my boomer. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Shadowclan Dark Moot Forum Index -> Emerald Shadow Company (Planetside) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: