Shadowclan Main Page The Shadowclan Dark Moot

CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   CharactersCharacters   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Tue 12 Dec 2017
Wed 13 Dec 2017
Thu 14 Dec 2017
Fri 15 Dec 2017
Sat 16 Dec 2017
Sun 17 Dec 2017
Warleader/Reaver Raid

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Shadowclan Dark Moot Forum Index -> LOTRO Skribbulz
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kurghaash

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Warleader/Reaver Raid Reply with quote

Last night after the multiple Freep raids overran the Moors, a howlur pack was set up to harrass and annoy the Freep. It went well but could not stand up to any raid running about with no stragglers or catching up to the Howlur pack as they were ripping apart any loose groups or stragglers. THEN... Maggotstew came online.

Maggot suggested we try an all reaver/warleader raid, 50% of each, 3 per each group. Well we got organized (and there were a few blue dot reavers out there, and a small number of non-sig warleaders) and went to town on Lugazag. Surprisingly, we did very well, the freep was a bit confused as to what to do when we got up in their faces and killed them one by one with very few loses that were quickly ressed, healed up and back into the fight. A good lesson for all creeps, the freep has range advantage, don't let them play their game and you can win a lot more.

Another raid (Grasswalker, a transplant from another server I think, was leading it and I do NOT recommend getting into any of his raids, his skills are somewhat lacking for leadership and especially target selection) took the Lumber camp as we were taking Tol Ascarnin on the fly (and I do mean on the fly!). Then came Tirith Rhaw, it was ugly due to the presence of tar and oil being up at the entrance. Despite having a troll (and I think it was said the other one was inactive due to a freep rolling one and sitting on his bum elsewhere) we could not penetrate much into the keep and the hall fights were vicious due to , again, tar slowing the advance to reach the freep who had their healers hiding amongst the NPC. The combination of freep range and NPC beating on our healers spelled our doom for that try.

The second try went around TR and ran into a scout coming around back (why would you do that alone?) which did cause some comment about possible freep eyes on the raid from the creep side. It still could have been a good fight but in usual Maggotstew style, the order was given to charge into the keep past the forces we were engaging. I was in the lead and it was not going well. I had to have a snaga give my boots a good licking to get rid of all the tar on them after that run. I did manage to survive and retreat out of the keep and back to safety but the majority of the raid did not make it. A lesson I learned was that as long as the freep can control the fight and keep us at range to his healers and hunters, they will win. The addition of oil burning the riad did not really affect us that badly except when we needed to break LOS while in the hallway. In the open I felt we reigned supreme and the freep reinforced that belief by hugging NPC and the keep where they could tar up the hallway.

I truly liked the idea and the operation of the all reaver/warleader raid but felt that Maggots approach was wrong for TR. The enemy was concentrated (I think more than a full raid) and could control the range we engaged at. We lacked range (20 m range shouts do NOT count) and they had NPC support. Instead we could have tried baiting them out with a false route and swept up a lot of their melee and ranged that were stupid enough to pursue. Then we could have kept them out of the keep while forcing the freep to fight outside to protect their returning numbers or give them up to our tender mercies. Then once they were truly weakened indoors we could have moved into the hall, facing less firepower from inside and gotten out of the hall of tar much easier. It is easy to criticise the tactics from hindsight and I don't really mean to criticise at all, we did well! I just think we could have done things differently to see what may have resulted. The fact that the other raid was not coordinating with us did not help either, I saw them rarely and never communicating. If we had been talking we could have easily set up the bait and clomp maneuver. I do doubt that the other raids leader would have been willing. Just my opinion.

So expect me to write some more about our small team clan tactics soon, and no it won't be a manifesto, it will be for discussion!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to, and including his life."
Gorbag Rotmakr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I had to leave even earlier that usual last night. I have been driving to a conference at the next metro area to the north in rush hour traffic all week - makes for an early start to the day. As I could bring either a rank 5 reaver or a rank 5 warleader to such an event, it was a shame that I missed it.

I am a big fan of getting in the tarks face even when NOT playing a reaver (basically - anything but a BA, which is hopeless when forced into melee range). Maggotstew does this really well IMO, and I usually like being in his raids win or loose.

Bashel

Character Skills: Homicidal tendencies toward my own characters.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah! I have only played my reaver for a short while, but I am LOVING it! I was getting bored of playing a spider and so I tried reaving on a whim, and it has been exciting. To actually be able to damage a target is a nice change.

A shame I missed that WL/Reaver raid, but maybe I'll make the next one.

Razz

Gorbag Rotmakr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always wanted to participate in a reaver raid. It sounds more fun than a barrel of rabid, flesh eating monkeys! Twisted Evil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Shadowclan Dark Moot Forum Index -> LOTRO Skribbulz All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: