Shadowclan Main Page The Shadowclan Dark Moot

CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   CharactersCharacters   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Sat 23 Sep 2017
Sun 24 Sep 2017
Mon 25 Sep 2017
Tue 26 Sep 2017
Wed 27 Sep 2017
Thu 28 Sep 2017
Squig Herder Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Shadowclan Dark Moot Forum Index -> Warhammer Online (WAR)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azh
Old Admin

Character Skills: Grandmaster Grumpiness

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Squig Herder Discussion Reply with quote

Official Squig Herder Info

Squig Herder Mastery Planner

Warhammer Alliance Squig Herder Discussion Forum

Warhammer Vault Squig Herder Guide

Last edited by Azh on Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:07 pm; edited 2 times in total

Snotnose

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bestestest class.

Ill be playing one on skavenblight as snotnose.

Krugok

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be there too. I like the class concept too much to be dissuaded by the bad press.

One thing I learned yesterday that was bad about the 'herder- Your squigs (other than the basic "tanking" squig) stop leveling at 25 apparently. In order to increase them beyond 25, you have to put points in the spec line for that squig.

In other words, you need 15 points in Big Shootin' to get a level 40 Horned squig.

Bummer.

Xulgag

Character Skills: Mojo thrower

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as my new mojo box gets up and running, I'll be here, too.

Mudnik

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: Dis iz me bow Reply with quote

Squigherder Kreed

Dis iz me bow.

Der be many loike it, but dis wun iz MINE.

Me bow iz me bestest friend. It iz me life.

Meeb must masta it as meeb must masta me life.

Me bow widdout meeb iz naff. Widdout me bow, meeb be useliss git.

Meeb must fire me bow gud.

Meeb must shoot straighta dan me enemy oose tryin' ter klomp meeb.

Meeb must shoot 'im before ee klomp me flat. Meeb will...

Me bow an meself know dat wot counts in waa iz nub da arrerz meeb shootz, da teef o' da squigz, nor da stabbin’ meeb stabbity.

Meeb know it iz da klompin’ dat count. Meeb will klomp...

Me bow iz bubhosh, eben as meeb, koz it iz me life.

So, meeb lern me bow as a brudur.

Me lern its weeknessez, its strengds, its partz, its finkz, its stringz, an its arrerz.

Me will ebur guard it aginzt da ravagz o' wevva an whumpin.

Meeb will keep me bow redy an’ bubhosh , eben as meeb be redy an ryt propa.

Weeb will become part o' each uvver. Weeb will...

Before Gork an’ Mork meeb swear dis kreed.

Me ol’ bow an meself are da defendaz o' meeb.

Weez da mastaz o' da skum.

Weez da saviorz o' me clan.

So be it, until der iz no stuntiz or oomiz, but only WAAAGH.

Ogmo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some simple insight that I have noticed so far.

If you go the ballistic route as a Squig Herder, do not forget to take your detaunt. It seems useless at first when you get it since you really do not pull aggro off your pet at that level. BUT after a few levels Your range damage will outshine the pet.

At level 14 in PvE its my 3rd attack in my pull chain otherwise it becomes difficult to get aggro off me with any other pet that is not the Main Squig

Gan'Tungi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there much merit in going the melee spec route? I'm only a level 5 herder so I'm not sure what kind of melee DPS potential there is in later levels or if the level of survivability the Herder possesses in melee makes it worthwhile.

Krugok

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so, though it may change once I get more useful Squig Armor abilities. It's too bad, because it enhances the best squig (Gas).

Most of our equipment is focused on Ballistics, which further discourages melee spec path.

I'm thinking mostly Big shootin', to enhance the Lots o' Arrers and get 1sec cast Plink (doubling the DPS of my main attack)

Ogmo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gan'Tungi wrote:
Is there much merit in going the melee spec route? I'm only a level 5 herder so I'm not sure what kind of melee DPS potential there is in later levels or if the level of survivability the Herder possesses in melee makes it worthwhile.

Actually I am noticing in the Teen levels you do get gear with weapon skill specs and toughness stats.

What you might want to do is starting at chapter 5, go through the zones and uncover future Public Quest chapters. You would do this for each of the 3 Lands. Greenskin vs Dwarf, Empire Vs Chaos, Elf Vs Dark Elf.

The reason behind this is that each Land will offer you something different for your character. So the Dark elf chapter 7 might offer you a spear with stats to weapon skill, but the Chapter 6 Chaos might offer you a spear some ballistic skill. The same goes for the different pieces of Armor offered. The reason you want to uncover these chapters is so you can then outline what piece of gear you might want from each future chapter. Also it allows you to change your choice in case you get a drop which is better.

If you used Wardb.com and do a search for Squig Herder armor sets you will see that there is a vendor that sells 3 sets of lvl 40 armor based on what your looking for. One is heavy ballistic, another is weapon skill and one is balanced in between the 2.

At level 40 I might consider swapping out of ballistic and going spear, If anything just to fool players for a bit. Since everyone will be expecting ranged combat, they will be surprised when they see that the hand to hand damage is much greater.

Gan'Tungi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At level 8 I'm already having a hard time finding the motivation to continue playing this character. PvE he does fine, but I feel completely and utterly useless and unable to kill characters of my own level or lower.

Someone give me a good reason to continue with my squig.

Ogmo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gan'Tungi wrote:
At level 8 I'm already having a hard time finding the motivation to continue playing this character. PvE he does fine, but I feel completely and utterly useless and unable to kill characters of my own level or lower.

Someone give me a good reason to continue with my squig.

You get to eat your Squig later on.

Honestly I understand. I think if you have the time to do the chapter route I mentioned you will end up with some decent gear. I will say I end up with many critical shots.

Gan, in the Scenario you should be shining. Go to the top and center. Save your Morale shot when someone comes up on you, this way you can shoot them off the sides of the wall. That alone will have you giggling. My targets are usually Bright Wizards, Rune Priest, Witch Hunters and Engineers.

I am only riding it out assuming they will bump them up, I pretty much read or seen many of the Dev interviews, the impression they gave is they wanted every class to be useful and that every class would bring something to the table. We also appear to be he only form of Debuffer this guild has atm. I think fighting the big mobs we will be needed. I will say thought as soon as the Orc Choppa comes out that will be my 2nd SC toon and back up if things don't go so well.

Azh
Old Admin

Character Skills: Grandmaster Grumpiness

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you dont have fun with it, dont play that character. Squig Herders are a utility class, not a 1 vs 1 class.

Granaak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The class may not be a fit for you but I've found it to certainly be a threat in RvR. Heavily armored foes are certainly where we're weakest as we do physical damage so they mitigate a lot of it, but against most others I've found myself competitive. Here's what's worked for me.

Staying out of melee is key (as it is for all of the RDPS classes). You lose a ton of dps if you can't use your bow and your survivablity is very low. You don't have lots of armor or hps. This could change some later on if you spec in the stabby path, but it's very true for the early levels. Stay on the move when possible so the melee can't single you out. You're small and hard to see make use of it.

Learning how to kite is also very important. You should never be shooting that snare shot while stationary. Until you get the attack where you can fire while still moving it's not very viable as more than an escape but once you get that ability you can devastate lightly armored classes with some smart kiting. It gets even easier at lvl10 when you get your PBAOE root.

You should always always have a squig in play. The squig does a lot of dps and you lose a lot of offense when it goes down. Unless you're running for your life you should stop fighting and get a new squig out when yours goes down. At low levels they're all useful even the generic one. Try to blow yours up when it gets low instead of letting it die.

Ogmo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone else have this problem.

You use your AOE root and move back, but still notice the mob is moving with you and attacking. But occasionally it will spring back to root spot.

I have come to discover of course that it is rooted but there is some graphic glitch.

But wondering if it was just me. I get tossed to desktop lighting quick sometimes. If I try to log out it takes 5 minutes

Gan'Tungi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well shamans get a lot of debuffs and the like, depending on how they spec. I found that not being raped by Witch Hunters and Swordmasters repeatedly not only boosts my survivability but also my ability to kill. Shocking, right? There were a couple games where I had the highest amount of XP on my team, only at level 8 out of 11.

Squig Armor. What the heck? I have to assume that you get abilities for it down the line or something because dang it is useless at the moment!

Krugok

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah squig armor gets a few cool abilities, like a 3 second aoe stun

Ogmo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gan'Tungi wrote:
Well shamans get a lot of debuffs and the like, depending on how they spec. I found that not being raped by Witch Hunters and Swordmasters repeatedly not only boosts my survivability but also my ability to kill. Shocking, right? There were a couple games where I had the highest amount of XP on my team, only at level 8 out of 11.

Squig Armor. What the heck? I have to assume that you get abilities for it down the line or something because dang it is useless at the moment!

IF you get smart healers you can go Super Squig and jump down by the flag. Everyone will try to kill you. Must have kill me first written on your chest. But if your healed, you will live a long time and the other side will burn down alot of Action points. At which time the rest of the team can jump down and kill them off. Seen this happen once. I thought the other side just lost there minds. Just about EVERYONE was intent on killing this one player, no one except 1 or 2 thought of trying to kill the healers. And they where killed fast.

Ogmo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up the Rapid fire at level 16 last night, I think very good. My kills in Scenarios jumped up much higher, top 3 to 5 for the 5 or 6 scenarios I did last night after the trip.

I wonder if this is how it might be. Small decent stuff till you get to the Oh Crap this is good power. There EVIL I tell you

Ganthar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ogmo wrote:
I picked up the Rapid fire at level 16 last night, I think very good. My kills in Scenarios jumped up much higher, top 3 to 5 for the 5 or 6 scenarios I did last night after the trip.

I wonder if this is how it might be. Small decent stuff till you get to the Oh Crap this is good power. There EVIL I tell you

Yea I saw this power being used last night and it was insane and cool to watch too.

Meat is murder.

Tasty, tasty murder. Mmmmmm, I love it. In fact, I'm going to eat some beef right now. HOOWAH!
Gan'Tungi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right.

So now that I've stopped going after the hard targets and aiming at the squishier ones, I'm having a lot more success and a lot more fun. Most folks don't even realize they're getting punked by a squig until it's almost too late.

I've found it to be true that standing still is definitely the enemy of the Squig Herder. Seeing as how our DoT and the Run an' Shoot can both be employed on the move, I very rarely stop to use a Plink or What Blokka on the enemy. Saving, of course, the move speed debuff for when they're trying to escape. The DPS level of the squig (the Horned Squig in this case) seems to be high enough that they can keep the enemy's health at least consistent as long they're not being actively healed by another.

I'm definitely enjoying this class a lot more now that I'm learning how to play it better. I can't help but laugh at every kill I get seeing as how I view myself as a puny little git who's more of a nuisance than a real threat (despite finding myself consistently in the top 3 XP/DMG ranks most scenarios). It just makes me want to laugh and point while shouting, "Ha! Yous jus' got eaten by me squig!"

Gromlik

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I was going to drop in a post from my experience from level 8-11 I've been pretty much in the top 5 damage dealers in my PQ and some of the RVR stuff and I can still go one on one with any PVE cept for champions...

aka (Dekard)
Krugok

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wait a bit more. I think the squig gets better and better each level. Really happy with the class, and I'm glad they start slow so they are still rare compared to the rest of destruction.

Plus, we can call a giant squig that eats us and we control it from the inside.

Oshmog

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having committing the sin of checking the Herder forum boards (don't do it, it's depressing!!) many have noted that the herder pets, aside from the first squid you get, do not scale 1:1 with your level...you'll need to spec a line to get one particular pet to scale with your level. Otherwise, they cap out at I think 25.

I've notice my pet not behaving very well lately - getting frustrating having him there, but not there, with no control bar for him...having to always recast/wait 30 secs.

Shmoog

Krugok

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oshmog wrote:
aside from the first squid you get, do not scale 1:1 with your level...you'll need to spec a line to get one particular pet to scale with your level. Otherwise, they cap out at I think 25.

This is true, you'll start seeing it at level 11. After that they start going up every other level, plus when you ad master points in their spc lines

Ogmo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went 1 on 1 VS a 17 Arch Mage. Me 16

I got him low on health, but sadly he was able to heal back up to just about full. My AP where drained. I died. I used a potion to heal myself also.

I have heard Chosen and Marauders pretty much saying, when they see a Archmage they run.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Shadowclan Dark Moot Forum Index -> Warhammer Online (WAR) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: