Shadowclan Main Page The Shadowclan Dark Moot

CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   CharactersCharacters   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Wed 13 Dec 2017
Thu 14 Dec 2017
Fri 15 Dec 2017
Sat 16 Dec 2017
Sun 17 Dec 2017
Mon 18 Dec 2017
Neverwinter MMO
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Shadowclan Dark Moot Forum Index -> Future Branch Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K'Dahbruh
Old Admin
Old Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Neverwinter MMO Reply with quote

Going to be put out by Atari? No info yet.

Last edited by K'Dahbruh on Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hin

Character Skills: Pie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha by Cryptic? .... oh well.
Ganthar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see anything about Cryptic making it but if they are you can pretty much already write it off the list of being a quality mmo.

Meat is murder.

Tasty, tasty murder. Mmmmmm, I love it. In fact, I'm going to eat some beef right now. HOOWAH!
Dek'Oligz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This rumor is sketchy imo. Not saying it can't be true, I'm more saying that I'm hesitant to believe it. Here's a few reasons why:

I'm no MMO historian, but I follow a few of the major sites regularly, forums included, and have for the past few years. I think the first talk of a NWN MMO was back when BioWare's secret game was unreleased, which of course turned out to be TOR. I think since then the "rumor" or possibility of a NWN MMO has sort of just lived on.

Also, Cryptic said they were making 3 MMOs using the same engine and such to pump MMOs out faster. (Which a lot of people hate, I don't actually have any problem with it considering they came out and said what they were doing before they did it. No one should be surprised that their games don't have much in the way of content. It's basically a failing experiment is all. No ill will here.)

Anyways, Cryptic's first 2 MMOs from this batch were Champions and Star Trek. The third is rumored to be NWN, but they have concept art on their website. There's Champions, Star Trek, and a mysterious third batch of concept art which looks nothing like NWN - there's rifles and vehicles and stuff. Looks more like something along the lines of Secret World.

So those are the two big things I'm looking at. I also don't really see the connection between Atari and Cryptic. I guess Atari and Cryptic work together, but isn't Atari behind some of Turbine's games as well?

And I'm a fanboy, too. I'd play a mediocre NWN just because I love Forgotten Realms so much. If it was done remotely well, or even just the same old WoW clone we keep seeing, but set in Forgotten Realms, I'd shamelessly play it.

With all that said, I did see one hell of an interesting theory that I'd be pumped about were it true.

I saw a guy mention Cryptic's ties to CoH, and CoH's architect system where you can build your own missions. Then you have NWN, popular largely because of it's player generated content. So the theory is perhaps NWN will be a MMO with a feature that allows players to create their own quests and storylines, just like a DM. Were that the case I'd be happy with a game with limited Champions Online-esq content so long as we have a tool to make our own quests.

So that's my two cents! My caution tells me we may soon find out that this was all in our heads, but the hopeful side is eagerly awaiting this MMO to be announced.

Have Played:
Dekoligz, Uruk Blackarrow
Dek'Oligz, Throquat Gu'Ligz'r

Check out my miniature painting log: Fullmetal Minis
Vulg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I has all teh infos

Its actually looking pretty darned cool. As soon as I am allowed I will be filling you lot in.

WoW: Vulg, Retired Ghaashblud Nob
Shadowbane: Diahb Rhu'khan, Khal'usht
UO CATSKILLS: Vulg'Ruk, Rabid Howlin Skullz Womp'r
DAoC: Vulg Blakfist
Dek'Oligz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LFM 10 man raid on Vulg, rolling need on teh infos

Have Played:

Hin

Character Skills: Pie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let's speculate wildly until Vulg gets so annoyed by the misinformation that can't keep his trap shut anymore!

Anyway, I herd that there's going to be a quest system that basically rips off WOW. Kinda annoying. I was hoping to play nwn without the "kill 10 rats" quest trudging. They are also going to have a talent tree with three main branches.

Also, it's heavily instanced. and crafting sucks

K'Dahbruh
Old Admin
Old Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no, no! I've heard that it's going to be a drow-only game. Every PC will be a rebel/good-aligned drow ranger. And all names must start with D, and have at least two Zs somewhere in them.
Severian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dek'Oligz wrote:
I also don't really see the connection between Atari and Cryptic.

Atari owns Cryptic.

Dec 09, 2008
MMORPG developer Cryptic Studios has been acquired by Atari parent company Infogrames, the companies have revealed. The announcement specified that Atari will now be able to "create unique, high quality MMO games on 18 to 24-month cycles."

Cryptic Studios, which developed City of Heroes and City of Villains for NCSoft, had been known to be developing Champions Online and Star Trek Online, but today's announcement also reveals development of a third project. The untitled game is scheduled for 2011.

Tiger got to sleep,
Bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.
Vulg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I can guarantee is that our guys at WoTC are heavily involved and informed on every design consideration, especially in regards to story and content. This will not be Atari/Cryptic taking a lot of artistic license with the IP.

K'Dahbruh
Old Admin
Old Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vulg wrote:
One thing I can guarantee is that our guys at WoTC are heavily involved and informed on every design consideration, especially in regards to story and content. This will not be Atari/Cryptic taking a lot of artistic license with the IP.

Wait, isn't that the second thing you can guarantee? The first being that we'll get a bunch of beta testing accounts? Shocked

Dek'Oligz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Severian wrote:
Dek'Oligz wrote:
I also don't really see the connection between Atari and Cryptic.

Atari owns Cryptic.

Dec 09, 2008
MMORPG developer Cryptic Studios has been acquired by Atari parent company Infogrames, the companies have revealed. The announcement specified that Atari will now be able to "create unique, high quality MMO games on 18 to 24-month cycles."

Cryptic Studios, which developed City of Heroes and City of Villains for NCSoft, had been known to be developing Champions Online and Star Trek Online, but today's announcement also reveals development of a third project. The untitled game is scheduled for 2011.

Aha! I see now. Wasn't aware of that.

As for my wild, information-invoking speculation, I heard they're revamping Forgotten Realms for this game and that it'll be all gnomes with bards being the only playable class.

Have Played:

Throkwatt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't get excited about this. Cryptic seems like a bunch of hacks after Champions Online and what they did to Star Trek.
I can only imagine it'll be a subscription combined with a online store where you can buy things like Bags of holding for 10 bucks, etc...
Unless they have actual DMs and ways to affect the world like in the better NWN PWs ( or old school UO) not really interested.Am hopeful, but..

I guess that explains why WoTC is coming out with a Neverwinter campaign setting book.

Grutzh, Black Orc, WAR
Kwatz, Shaman,WAR

Bolo Thrace, Eve
Vulg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be quite honest much of the MMO universe is heading into the micro-transaction business model and Cryptic's model allows you to play the entire game and have complete access to everything but some cosmetic and vanity stuff (costume pieces and action figures) without ever needing to look at the C-Store. Frankly, I play Champions Online and continue to have fun with it often. City of Heroes was a great game that opened a whole new genre to MMOs. Star Trek is just plain awful but 2 out of 3 isn't bad.

Dek'Oligz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mhmm. I try to stay out of the Cryptic debate, cause I wouldn't want someone telling me they think I'm wrong if I felt ripped off by a certain company.

I like Cryptic though and I defend them pretty regularly because I think they've been very honest in releasing "bite sized" MMOs. I read quite a while back that they had created a game engine and were planning to release three MMOs. The article said that they wanted to try to release games in 6 months instead of 3 years like most MMOs. I thought and still think that the idea of trying to grow your game with your community instead of for your community is a novel and unique idea.

For example, I bought Champions and played for two months and stopped because I had played through all the content. Neither my girlfriend and I felt any regret having purchased it though, because what we played was fun and we could see ourselves going back to that game after more content was released. We both bought Warhammer and felt ripped off.

Why the difference? Because we felt Warhammer really hyped their game, misled us. I feel Cryptic's been pretty honest about what they're doing - they're not claiming to compete with WoW like Mythic did, which then implies WoW-like quality.

I didn't try STO though, and I hear that was the worst of it, so I'm only getting half the story here. My only beef with Champions was I felt they could've balanced things a little sooner, and I wish they had released with Villain content.

Have Played:

K'Dahbruh
Old Admin
Old Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More info on the NWN MMO:

- Yes, it's being done by Cryptic
- Not really an MMO, not really a single player RPG.
- Yes, it will include 'editing tools' that allow player generated content.
- It'll be based on a brand new set of books by R.A. Salvatore.

And, the official NWN site: http://www.playneverwinter.com/

About all that's on that site is a front page, and a chance to sign up to get the newsletter.

Dek'Oligz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, it's announced!

Tell us everything you know, Vulg! About everything. Start with the birds and the bees.

Seriously though, got any goods for us? Razz

Have Played:

Dek'Oligz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if anyone finds a fansite for Neverwinter with forums, link it here? I'm looking for some fun convo/speculation sort of discussion but every thread is mostly "Cryptic doom" crap.

Have Played:

Throkwatt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does sound interesting, I'll give'em that. Even though I don't care for DnD 4th Edition, it is well suited for a computer game.
It sounds like they'll have their own servers you'll have to log into, but you'll be able to create your own content too. But it doesn't sound like they'll
have GM tools for players as part of that, which is a downer.
That's the best part of NWN 1, IMO.

In the interview, Emmert was actually pretty open and honest about the mistakes they made with Champions Online and Star Trek.Maybe they learned from their mistakes.

Grutzh, Black Orc, WAR
Kwatz, Shaman,WAR

Bolo Thrace, Eve
K'Dahbruh
Old Admin
Old Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest problem with 4th ed. is that it was incomplete. The first players handbook included only the combat information. Combat spells, combat abilities, combat feats. It didn't allow for anything but combat.

The later players handbooks may have finally fixed that, but I wouldn't know, because they took too long to come out, and I'd already given up on the 4th ed. by then.

In our pen-and-paper games, combat was only a small part of what we did each gaming session. Leaving out all of the rest of the game (or claiming that everything else is stat rolls) ruined it for us, and we couldn't use 4th ed.

Throkwatt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed on that.Our group started playing Pathfinder awhile back, and we haven't looked back.

Grutzh, Black Orc, WAR
Kwatz, Shaman,WAR

Bolo Thrace, Eve
Ganthar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What rules do you feel are needed for outside of combat? In my experience non-combat is typically RP with the occasional skill depending on what you did.
I haven't had my non-combat encounters change from 3.5 to 4th edition except there is the addition of rules for an actual skill encounter now.

Meat is murder.

Tasty, tasty murder. Mmmmmm, I love it. In fact, I'm going to eat some beef right now. HOOWAH!
K'Dahbruh
Old Admin
Old Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ganthar wrote:
What rules do you feel are needed for outside of combat? In my experience non-combat is typically RP with the occasional skill depending on what you did.
I haven't had my non-combat encounters change from 3.5 to 4th edition except there is the addition of rules for an actual skill encounter now.

Background skills were completely left out:

What languages do you start knowing? How do you learn a new language? How good are you at it/can you hide your accent? Can I have a background that includes blacksmithing? Am I better at blacksmithing than someone with the same stats that didn't have blacksmithing in their background?

Non-combat spells were completely left out:

What happened to using Invisibility to sneak into a castle? What about using Wall of Stone to make shelter from a storm? Wall of Force for a temporary bridge? How do we help the villagers dig their well/bury their dead/build that dam without a Dig spell? Why can't we slow down our enemies by leaving a Rock to Mud behind us? Why can't we spy on the prince using Polymorph Self or hide the princess in plain sight with Polymorph Other?

Khargug
Clan Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan of the 2nd edition. Everything after just made me cringe.

Shadowclan Discord server
Ganthar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K'Dahbruh wrote:
Ganthar wrote:

Background skills were completely left out:

What languages do you start knowing? How do you learn a new language? How good are you at it/can you hide your accent? Can I have a background that includes blacksmithing? Am I better at blacksmithing than someone with the same stats that didn't have blacksmithing in their background?

Non-combat spells were completely left out:

What happened to using Invisibility to sneak into a castle? What about using Wall of Stone to make shelter from a storm? Wall of Force for a temporary bridge? How do we help the villagers dig their well/bury their dead/build that dam without a Dig spell? Why can't we slow down our enemies by leaving a Rock to Mud behind us? Why can't we spy on the prince using Polymorph Self or hide the princess in plain sight with Polymorph Other?

How many of those things were available with the very first set of books?

Backgrounds were added later and if a background isn't listed a DM has the option to create additional ones.
Non-combat spells weren't completely left out they where separated into two categories, combat spells, and rituals. I'm pretty sure there is instructions for a DM to create rituals that he feel would benefit his campaign.
Some of the things you mentioned are available as Rituals. I doubt very much that every spell in 3.5 was available from the get go. A lot spells are completely unbalanced in combat and out of combat with the previous edition. In combat for example it was easy to make an encounter that would annihilate the party but be trivial for one of the party members and a DM might spend hours trying to create an encounter that worked well with the party.
When there is a spell we want that doesn't exist we talk to our DM about and see if its something that would fit in the campaign. Some times its ok other times its not.
It sounds like you don't like it because there aren't enough rules that tell you what to do. There are all kinds of rules that guide DM's on what to do if a player wants to do something out of the norm and how they might approach it. Trying to list every possible scenario for anything that might ever happen is a waste of resources. Players will always be able to think of something that there isn't a scenario for.
4th edition didn't take away tons of options that were in 3.5 they got rid of a lot of unnecessary rules and left instructions on how a DM can handle these odd ball situations in the off chance that they come up.

Meat is murder.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Shadowclan Dark Moot Forum Index -> Future Branch Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: