Shadowclan Main Page The Shadowclan Dark Moot

CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   CharactersCharacters   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Mon 24 Sep 2018
Tue 25 Sep 2018
Wed 26 Sep 2018
Thu 27 Sep 2018
Fri 28 Sep 2018
Sat 29 Sep 2018
Character Trade and Resource Skill Specialities

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Shadowclan Dark Moot Forum Index -> Xsyon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nub'luk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Character Trade and Resource Skill Specialities Reply with quote

Introduction

So, in prep. for next week, I think it'd be a good idea to document what trade/craft skills our characters will be starting with.

Resources will be used more optimally if everyone isn't grinding out the same craft skills, and we will all be better equipped if we each take a specification.

I'll keep a running tally here with character names and craft skills.

Trade Skills

Trade Skills are skills in Xsyon that are your traditional crafting skills, like Blacksmithy and Tailoring in UO. Characters begin the game world with a random set of recipes for all Trade Skills. By creating items, you gain points in the governing Trade Skill in addition to "unlocking" new, random recipes. Higher level recipes require a prerequisite level of skill (0-100). When you create a new character, you will begin with 25 points in whatever chosen Trade Skill you have picked, along with a set of starter tools.

It is important to keep in mind that raising your skill level in a Trade requires the creation of craft items. Skill gain is rather slow, also. Therefore, it's a better idea to pick one Trade Skill to focus on as to avoid wasting time/effort/resources in grinding others.

The following is a list of all Trade Skills currently in-game:

Architecture: The planning of and the construction of buildings in game.

Basketry: The creation of baskets (containers), armor and headgear from grass.

Bone Craft: The creation of armor and helmets from bones. Bones are gotten from NPC corpses and sometimes from Scavenging.

Leather Craft: The creation of armor and helmets from leather. Leather is gotten from NPC corpses, and from harvesting scrap leather in junk piles.

Masonry: The creation of bricks and other building supplies for Architecture. Not sure if there are too many recipes for this craft skill just yet.

Tailoring: The creation of clothes and cloth armor from cloth. Cloth is produced primarily from resources harvested from scrap cloth, from junk piles.

Terraforming: The altering of terrain in-game. Right now, higher levels of Terraforming only help reduce stamina use and increase speed of Terraforming.

Tool Craft: The creation of tools to be used in making crafts. Tools are made from various items, including resources from scrap cloth, leather, plastic, metal, and woodcraft made items.

Weapon Craft: The creation of weapons.

Wood Craft: The creation of wooden items. These items are used mostly for components in other crafts, such as Architecture, Weapon Craft, and Tool Craft.

Resource Skills

Resource Skills are skills that are most easily compared to Lumberjacking and Fishing in UO. They allow you to harvest/collect special items for use in Trade Skills. Higher levels of Resource Skills allow you to harvest/collect higher end resources, or determined the speed and/or stamina cost of certain actions, such as Lumberjacking. Resource skills do not have recipes, and are used to compliment most crafts (or, in the case for Fishing, provide food).

The following are the Resource Skills that you can choose when creating a character.

Fishing: Catches fish to eat, and food is pretty important. Higher skill gives better fish, lower stam costs and faster fishing.

Foraging: Like scavenging, picks plants used in craft and that can also be directly eaten.

Hunting: Gives greater quantities of resources from skinning NPC corpses. Important for Bone Craft and Leather Craft.

Logging: Wood chopping. I believe at the moment higher skill reduces stamina and length of chopping only.

Scavenging: Skill used anywhere (thanks Grug) for the chance of randomly obtaining special resources used in crafting that cant be made (like saw blades), recipes for crafting, and other rare things.

Conclusion

There are a lot of options out there, so this thread is to help explain things and to get us all on the same page in terms of who is doing what. Just reply to the post with the trade and resource skill you're thinking about rolling with.

Last edited by Nub'luk on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Nub'luk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Character: Isidor (or Sic, undecided)

Trade Skill: Tailoring

Resource Skill: Scavenging or Fishing (undecided)

Grug'tar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grugtar (may change on launch.....I am actually thinking of going with Wales, and you all may call me Mr. Wales, or Josey!)

Trade Skill: I can go with architecture as my main skill and reroll until we get a recipe list we like. (assuming no one else gets what we need on their begining list.

Resource Skills: Foraging, because it is an easy skill to use to keep fed and scavenging. Don't forget you can scavenge anywhere, not just junkpiles!

I figure that we will all probably end up with everyone having a good mix of skills in the easy to grind areas (masonry, basketry, etc). What we realy need though is for anyone who is planning to specialize in the resource intensive skills to put it out there now (i.e. Architecture uses a ton of mats to skill, tailoring, leatherworking, bonecrafting etc.) This will help us to ensure that some of the harder to find mats don't get wasted.

Grunt Warrior, Bleeding Hollow WOW
Gahklusks Family, Battlemaster
Mental Patient, Urban Dead
Pilot in Stasis, EVE
Hin

Character Skills: Pie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name: Pending launch...

Skills: I really would like to do cooking . The second skill i can leave up to whatever the clan needs. probably something then that has to do with stuff around the fort... i.e. one of the crafting skills.

remember, if you pick a resource skill, you are well off picking your secondary skill also as a resource skill, since you probably will be spending a lot of time in the outdoors.... fishing/foraging...hunting/fishing,... etc. not necessary though.

edit: are there any good descriptions what attributes do? (int, str, per, etcetera)

Hamurak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name: Ham

Skills: Depends on if they go with the 'you can take all skills" or with "you can pick one main skill that you can master and another you can raise to a certain level"

From what i've been reading, they have had plans to do the latter, and it was so at a certain point, then changed it so we could do it all for testing, But are kicking around the idea of letting us keep doing all of them.

Ganthar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on going Scavenging/Hunting at release. My opinion is that every one should take scavenging as one of their two skills. It is such a crucial ability.
Outside of that I want to do Bonecrafting and either Toolcrafting or Weapon Crafting. If some one else wants to do Toolcrafting I'll go with Weapon Crafting.

As for my character name I'm going to try and name him Rooster after this next wipe.

Meat is murder.

Tasty, tasty murder. Mmmmmm, I love it. In fact, I'm going to eat some beef right now. HOOWAH!
Nub'luk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamurak wrote:
Name: Ham

Skills: Depends on if they go with the 'you can take all skills" or with "you can pick one main skill that you can master and another you can raise to a certain level"

From what I've been reading, they have had plans to do the latter, and it was so at a certain point, then changed it so we could do it all for testing, But are kicking around the idea of letting us keep doing all of them.

There is skill decay implemented, so you won't be able to master every skill. From what I've read, it appears that you'll only be able to really specialize in one tradeskill.

There are also a lot of reports of (Gasp) a cap on the number of recipes you are able to learn. From what I've read, it's been reported by a few people that their ability to learn new recipes from crafting no longer works after hitting 240. While this hasn't been confirmed by the devs, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case.

Hamurak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, so really if we only get to pick one crafting skill, and master it, but can still work on lower skills, but not master them, and each person can't learn all recipes (kinda like now) then we will need people to work on many skills to get certain things.

There are certain recipes that let you grind a skill up, and you aren't always guaranteed to get those. THere are also some recipes you may not get that are really handy to have.

For example, someone starting with Architecture may not actually get the branch barricade or whatever it is we have surrounding our little fort. If they don't get that, the skill is very hard to raise.

If a Toolcraft guy doesn't get needle or mortar and pestle, it's hard to raise. Also, i have high basketry, but i don't have the recipe for pouches. Some may not get a recipe to make bins.

Sic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name: Sic
Trade: Tailoring
Resource: Scavenging

Gan'Tungi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Char: Connor
Craft: Leathercraft, Scavenging, Fishing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Shadowclan Dark Moot Forum Index -> Xsyon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: