Shadowclan Main Page The Shadowclan Dark Moot

CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   CharactersCharacters   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Tue 13 Nov 2018
Wed 14 Nov 2018
Thu 15 Nov 2018
Fri 16 Nov 2018
Sat 17 Nov 2018
Sun 18 Nov 2018
This game is confusing!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Shadowclan Dark Moot Forum Index -> Clomp! (Blood Bowl League)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gan'Tungi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: This game is confusing! Reply with quote

Anyone have some good resources for getting to learn the game outside of the in-game tutorial and the Blood Bowl handbook?

Also, do we play classic or blitz style?

There's a lot to think about here. Shocked

Gan'Tungi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. I'd also like to know why I'm being put up against teams who are 300+ points better than me on Easy in campaign. :/

Gan'Tungi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've figured out how to win the game. Give all of my players block and dodge. That seems to be how it works.

chuckprime

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing against someone who doesn't mind taking the time to help out or explain why they do things in a certain order or how certain skills work is the best way to learn. You probably won't find anyone that helpful or patient in matchmaker so your best bet would to be posting here looking for an opponent at a certain time, there are plenty of guys here willing to help along a new player so we can eventually crush you in league play and not feel bad about it. Twisted Evil

Reading the Bloodbowl handbook is really your best bet otherwise. Understanding the dice rolls and the modifiers that apply to them that are made off screen is fundamental to this game. I suggest going over the basic rules and pay particular attention to the blocking and ganging up strategies, sometimes where you block from or push them to is more important than knocking down or injuring opposing players.

As for the single player mode it's good to have all that inducement gold to play with different options before trying out stuff in league play. Once you get the hang of the game even hard difficulty on solo play should present little to no challenge to you. Personally I think the new story mode would help new players learn the game faster, rather than building one team and learning only one play style the story mode forces you to coach various races and you have to complete different objectives like scoring or throwing X amount of times, play good defense, etc.

Here is a link to where you can download the competition rules pdf along with a human and orc strategy guide

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=cat480004a&categoryId=1100006&section=&aId=4800003

If you have the time and want to get 5 or 6 games in with one team against shadowclan coaches only you could have a team qualified for Clomp! Season 5 starting in a few weeks. That would put you on par with the teams currently in the rookie league playoffs right now and I believe some of them are moving up to Clomp! season 5.

Blarg

Character Skills: Rambling

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a good chance I'll be available in the early evening PST on Sunday if you want a learning match. I'll post here if I'm available for matches that day.

But yeah, aside from that like Chuck said, that official rule book is the way to go, you just need a way to filter out all the extra stuff. Focus on understanding:

Agility Rolls: how they work, what actions require them, and what kind of modifiers those different actions take

Dodging: Understanding how agility rolls are modified during a dodge confuses a lot of people at first, but is very important to get down.

Skills: Go down the skills list and read them all frequently till you've got them down pretty well. You want to be able to look at opposing players and understand what they're capable of right away. If a skill mentions mechanics that you don't understand, look those up.

Assisting: Understanding how to use multiple players to take down a stronger player, and how to prevent it defensively, is vital. Figure out what makes a player help in a block and what prevents them from assisting.

The rest will come as you go, such as general tactics and ways to move the ball, how to form a cage or break one, etc. The above are the core fundamental mechanics that need to become second nature as soon as possible.

Gan'Tungi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I'd be all for playing a few scrimmage type games against some available Shadowclanners.

By the end of the day yesterday I had a Chaos team that I'd gone 2-6 with. I learned a lot just by playing the game, and now that my players are starting to level up more it's really helping the overall ability of my team.

Blarg, I should be available Sunday evening (EST), but I can post again tomorrow to let you know.

Thanks for the link, chuck.

Nuzzgrund

Character Skills: Grumblin'

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may help as well http://bbtactics.com.

Chaos is a hard team to start with, but fun once developed.

I have a Clomp game at 9pm EST tomorrow. I will try to get on earlier if your up for a game.

Blood Bowl: Coach Nuzz of da Plaguebringaz and some of the other dirty rat teams out there!!!

When someone knocks you down, get back up... if you can't get up... bite his ankles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Shadowclan Dark Moot Forum Index -> Clomp! (Blood Bowl League) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: