Shadowclan Main Page The Shadowclan Dark Moot

CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   CharactersCharacters   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Wed 20 Jun 2018
Thu 21 Jun 2018
Fri 22 Jun 2018
Sat 23 Jun 2018
Sun 24 Jun 2018
Mon 25 Jun 2018
NWN - Arelith Guard
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Shadowclan Dark Moot Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ganthar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: NWN - Arelith Guard Reply with quote

Zahblug and I are back in NWN again and have been playing about a month. We're on Arelith which has about 100 players on it during US prime time if any one is interested.
Typically you get 20-40 xp per kill and there is no cap on weekly xp so the PVE aspect is much better than Avlis.
It has some unique crafting and enchanting that you can read about on the wiki. http://wiki.arelith.com

As a quick run down of what we're doing for those who might be interested. Currently we're Guards in the city of Cordor which is the largest city on the island of Arelith.

We joined when crime was high and they were doing a massive recruiting drive for recruits. Basically we came fresh off the boat and siezed what power we could get our hands on. We've moved up in the ranks a little bit and Zahblug has the ability to interview/accept recruits now.
We're keeping the Jails full and people like Zahblugs character. Mine they respect but don't like because he's been coming off as a jerk. Mostly to people who annoy me or tell me how to do my job which the city seems to be full of.
The server is almost completely player driven and we're going through council elections right now. My character Ivan is unionizing the Guard because there is a plot to remove our commander and we like her very much. Currently we're organizing and trying to get enough votes to swing the elections in our favor with a 2/3rd majority in favor of keeping our commander.
The city has a place for all sorts good aligned, neutral and, subtle evil characters. If you play overtly evil you'll quickly find yourself exiled from the city though.
With the guard we have now (unsanctioned) crime is on the decline.
So if you want to do good and make the city a better place feel free to join up. If you want to sieze power and abuse authority there is a place for you too. As long as you're smart in how you abuse your power you'll find you fit in well.
If you don't want anything to do with the guard I would still strongly suggest checking out the server. With 100 players during prime time there is something for every one.
Zahblug and I aren't playing orcs and don't really have any desire to at this point. I will say that the Guard has the communal sharing feeling that you would expect in an SC group though.

I do suggest avoiding the following dieties though as they're banned from open worship in the city and it could cause long term problems if you decided to join the guard: Cyric, Shar, Bane, Mask, Velsharoon, Abyssal and Infernal Powers,  Unseelie Fey, Loviatar, Myrkul, Bhaal, Urdlen and maybe Garagos

If you really wanted to worship one there are organizations that are devoted to some of them. I know Bane has a large following but they are run out of the city when discovered.
Also the server has a custom warlock class which you can play but they're also banned from the city so openly declaring yourself as one would be a bad idea.

My character is Ivan Ironguts and Zahblug is playing Hogdish. Server url is http://www.arelith.com No downloads are required to join the server.

Meat is murder.

Tasty, tasty murder. Mmmmmm, I love it. In fact, I'm going to eat some beef right now. HOOWAH!
Zahblug

Character Skills: Shivs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a lot of fun. The nice thing about the guards is that you aren't just playing with your own group, you have reasons to interact with just about everybody. Leveling takes a while, but it isn't anywhere near as bad as other servers, and some of the dungeons are a lot of fun.

Also, be sure to check out this page when picking your characters deity.
http://wiki.arelith.com/Deity

They have this neat custom system where your character can gain faith by praying, sacrificing things, and doing things that your god likes. Your god then can give you bonuses, either in response to things happening, or when you emote *prays*. Whenever your god helps you you lose faith points.

One of the easiest gods to gain faith with are gods of War and Destruction, and those would be the ones I'd recommend the most. If you are doing enchanting, gods of magic give a really nice bonus. The others are more difficult to gain favor with.

Hogdish is a worshiper of Talos
Ivan is a worshiper of the Red Knight

Hin

Character Skills: Pie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What software is required to play?

edit:
$9 on gog
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/neverwinter_nights_diamond_edition

edit:

there is a problem with gog when playing online, solved here.

http://www.gog.com/en/support/neverwinter_nights_diamond_edition/online_play_in_neverwinter_nights_diamond

Last edited by Hin on Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ganthar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah just that. I've heard when buying it from GoG you need to specifically ask for a multiplayer CD Key from them. I could be wrong on that though.
In other news I just made Corporal as well. Very Happy

Meat is murder.

Tasty, tasty murder. Mmmmmm, I love it. In fact, I'm going to eat some beef right now. HOOWAH!
Hin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, if you're like me and try to log in to arelith before getting the multiplayer cd key, you will be stuck in limbo until the server admins clear your account.

1. get nwn from gog
2. request multiplayer key from gog
3. play game.

Last edited by Hin on Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a break from Avlis (got bit tired of sloooow xp, very overpowered magery and mostly lack of people). So i tried Arabel, Arelith and Amia.

Arelith was interesting, decent population (less then Amia, more than Arabel) but it seemed tiny to me. I started on Underdark (as orog cleric of Gruumsh but after a while I realized how tiny Underdark was (specially compared to enormous Avlis)) I think you could literally hop from starting town to surface server in 4 screens, that was a big turn off.

Someone suggested that surface is much bigger so I gave it a try and by level 4 (perhaps unluckily) I came across same dungeon that my Underdark character walked in from other side... I just logged off and haven't been back Smile

Maybe I just got unlucky, people seemed nice hehe

Zahblug

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, I kinda like the smallish size to it, We have gotten to level 10 and had a good variety of dungeons, and they have been overall good quality. The greater player density is nice, where as Avlis seemed too open and too empty.

Also just bought a quarter with some storage space. Ganthar is making a cooking pot for it.

Buurzlug

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Questions.

- is this nwn 1 or 2?
- is every character played an adventurer?
- can i be a farmer?

Zahblug

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neverwinter Nights 1.
Basically you are an adventurer, the main way to gain experience is through killing monsters. There is also however a few other systems to gain xp. There is an rp rating system where GMs occasionally give you an RP rating by how good they think you are doing. The RP ratings go from 10 to 40. You get your rp rating in xp every 6 minutes (In game hour) no matter what you are doing.

There is also an option called Mark of Destiny.
If you have a mark of destiny, you gain a bonus 20 xp every in game hour. This stacks with any rp rating that you have. But with a mark of destiny, your character can only die 10 times ever. If you die for the tenth time, you stay dead. So if you want to play a character that mainly hangs out in town or does tradeskills that is an option.

Now, there are also tradeskills. Each in game day you get a number of crafting points equal to twice your level. You also have crafting skill points equal to twice your level. You can choose to put those skill points into any of the I think five crafting skills. Then you can spend crafting points to try and make different items. Things like bandages might use up between 4 and 8 crafting points, where as really nice armor and weapons might cost as much as 175. If you really want to be a crafter there is a gift you can take that gives you an extra 10 crafting points a day, and an extra 10 skill points.

More information on Gifts can be found here: http://wiki.arelith.com/Character_creation

Now with that said, there is nothing saying you have to leave the city or fight monsters at all. You could play a crafter who stays in town and buys the raw materials from adventurers, or makes their money doing repairs etc.

There are also a bunch of different jobs people can get that don't require much adventuring at all. The main tavern in town is player run, and does hire players for bar tending, cooking, and card dealers. I have seen one guy who plays a barber completely through emotes. And there is a pretty rich system that encourages player politics (and there is an election going on right now). I imagine someone who played a campaign manager and was good at it could potentially make a lot of money and a lot of enemies in such an environment.

Now as far as a farmer itself, I havent really seen any options for player owned farms, most people gather their plant resources in the wild. However if you go with a ranger or druid who worships a nature deity you gain the ability to tend to plants, encouraging them to grow new resources back faster.

A gatherer druid/ranger would be much more effective at getting berries and herbs then anyone else and might be able to make good money doing so. However while going out of town to gather stuff they will likely be attacked by monsters, could either kill those, run away, or cast spells or use abilities to charm them depending.

If you do want to go any sort of gatherer, I'd suggest having a high strength score, some resources (metals, stone, wood etc) are quite heavy, and it is nice not to have to run back to town all the time to sell.

Ganthar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are non-adventurer things you can do as well if you're so inclined. One guy was playing as a bartender which was a huge success with the tavern patrons. I'm not sure if he's doing it still or not because his character has been doing some odd and unlawful things lately.

What's your character's name Hin?

Meat is murder.

Buurzlug

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. no farmer huh?

They need to add it in so people need to eat to live, and doing anything makes you thirsty/hungry. That would add a lot more professions in the game.

Ganthar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do have hunger/thirst/rest/piety on the server. However food and drink can be purchased from NPC's. I should say the Bartender was actually a Chef and there is a cooking profession. Mostly people use the cooking profession to make healing poultices.
There is also a soberiety ability. Drinking alcohol makes you sleepy. You need to be below 50% rest level to sleep. I have a drunken wizard because of that. (Rest also goes down naturally over time of course.)
I know we had some one die due to hunger or thirst because we forgot to feed them in jail.

Meat is murder.

Vorgak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fun!! Wish I could join in for a time and give it a shot. Avalis was ungodly boring to me though, convinced me to avoid the game for a long time. Sad

Hin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My character's name is Pietr, he's been wandering around town, doing some deliveries to earn some keep. Unfortunately the only other people i came across seemed to be in an awful hurry and sprinted by like something was on fire.
Khargug
Clan Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha, i think i still have my NWN CDs from 2002. May or may not check this out, pending time of course.

Shadowclan Discord server
Ganthar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like off peak time or something. Outside the nomad inn is a great place to meet people and where most congregate.

Meat is murder.

Rakgru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting flashbacks to Meridian 59, circa 1994-5. Around 100 people on at at a good time and the place to hangout is just outside an Inn.

Don't mess up my enjoyment of Friday this week by pointing out that it's only Wednesday
Zahblug

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hin wrote:
My character's name is Pietr, he's been wandering around town, doing some deliveries to earn some keep. Unfortunately the only other people i came across seemed to be in an awful hurry and sprinted by like something was on fire.

I dunno when you were on, but some point today the guard was rushing off to catch a mass murderer who had a councilor in his pocket. It was pretty hectic and awesome.

Rakgru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your counselors mustn't eat very well if they fit inside a pocket.

Don't mess up my enjoyment of Friday this week by pointing out that it's only Wednesday
Buurzlug

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ganthar wrote:
They do have hunger/thirst/rest/piety on the server. However food and drink can be purchased from NPC's. I should say the Bartender was actually a Chef and there is a cooking profession. Mostly people use the cooking profession to make healing poultices.

Hmm... So, where does the cook gather his materials to make food from? Just from vendors? It would be interesting if the npc vendors had to actually get their goods from somewhere besides out of thin air. THen people could farm, or be rangers as you mentioned, and supply the cooks etc with mats to make the actual food.

Zahblug

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well lets see, npc vendors sell food rations, fruit, and nuts. A lot of cooking recipes require meat, fruits, nuts, berries and salt. The more powerful cooking recipes and healing kits tend to require harder and harder to get meats, such as medium or big meat. Medium meat only coming from things like deer and tigers and stuff, big meat coming from things like Bears.

One thing that can be pretty neat though, crafted items can be renamed with the enchantment system. That one cook half orc would do things like cook up rations, and then with the enchanting system rename them to be "Sloppy Joes" or something like that.

Berries, Meat and Salt cannot be bought from any vendors.

I do think it could be more interesting without vendors selling food in any way but the system works pretty well. Cooks are much sought after for making healing kits, simple potions, tannin for tailoring, and various other ingredients for other trade skills.

Ganthar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also get stuff like fruit and nuts from bushes that regenerate over time and druids can encourage to grow for piety.

Salt you can also get from salt rock that are scattered around the world. You could get the basic cooking material with out really exposing yourself to any major risk.

Meat is murder.

Zahblug

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get most of my meat from rats, wolverines and deer. Rats and wolverines are hostile, but aren't that tough, Deer aren't hostile, don't really every try to hit you back, and have medium meat on them.

Zarkh

Character Skills: Absorbing inkredibul amounz ob cydur

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just went to the cellar and found my old NWM Platinum edition.
So all I have to do now is installing NWN 1 and look for the server you guys are on right ?

Shadow Era (TCG/IOS)
Ganthar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. The log in/password authentication servers are gone so it will time out but still let you in. The Arelith server has locked your account to your public CD key so that no one else can log in using your account.

It will be under the Role Play tab. Alternatively you can also direct connect with the IP from the website www.arelith.com

Meat is murder.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Shadowclan Dark Moot Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: