Shadowclan Main Page The Shadowclan Dark Moot

CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   CharactersCharacters   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Thu 23 Nov 2017
Fri 24 Nov 2017
Sat 25 Nov 2017
Sun 26 Nov 2017
Mon 27 Nov 2017
Tue 28 Nov 2017
H1Z1
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Shadowclan Dark Moot Forum Index -> Future Branch Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gobblemoss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: H1Z1 Reply with quote

SOE boss Smedley has announced they are making a post-apocalyptic zombie MMORPG, which they play to preview in playable form this summer during SOE live or E3. The game will use the same voxel technology Forgelight engine as Everquest Next.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/10/soe-shows-h1z1-its-new-zombie-mmo/

Some potentially appealing aspects for Shadowclan:

- massive world with night/day cycle
- destructible mine craft style environment
- emergent AI for the zombie NPC
- ability to build, own, defend and destroy custom-built bases
- open world PVP with full looting
- no skills or levels (not sure what takes their place)
- vehicles, hunting, crafting, etc.
- armor/clothing designers can get their creations into the shop a la Planetside 2
- free to play or buy to play model (prolly cash shop, but not PTW)

Buddermog

Character Skills: Chigun Goth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: H1Z1 Reply with quote

Gobblemoss wrote:
SOE boss Smedley has announced they are making a post-apocalyptic zombie MMORPG, which they play to preview in playable form this summer during SOE live or E3. The game will use the same voxel technology Forgelight engine as Everquest Next.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/10/soe-shows-h1z1-its-new-zombie-mmo/

Some potentially appealing aspects for Shadowclan:

- massive world with night/day cycle
- destructible mine craft style environment
- emergent AI for the zombie NPC
- ability to build, own, defend and destroy custom-built bases
- open world PVP with full looting
- no skills or levels (not sure what takes their place)
- vehicles, hunting, crafting, etc.
- armor/clothing designers can get their creations into the shop a la Planetside 2
- free to play or buy to play model (prolly cash shop, but not PTW)

I really want to see how they will handle the F2P model with EQN, Landmark has been fun so far and the engine is really polished already.

Gorbag

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds cool. Waiting for more info to see what's so much different from the other zombie survival titles out there.

- Gorbag Gro-Malog, Legate (ESO)
Fey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorbag wrote:
Sounds cool. Waiting for more info to see what's so much different from the other zombie survival titles out there.

Dean Hall gave pretty good explanation (unlike Smedley who came as kind of a douchebag in H1Z1 video). DayZ is survival game, which makes it different type than H1Z1, I think as it is now you respawn with full gear so it's more like a shooter. I haven't felt fear in game like I had in DayZ since UO beta Very Happy

Looking forward to see what both will look like, but they're different type of games.

Quote:

> I'm sure Rocket and Co. feel just a bit threatened

Honestly I don't. I'm at most a bit annoyed that everyone keeps slapping "survival" when I don't really consider their core design survival.

It is mildly annoying that people seem to think DayZ is popular because it has zombies and "lots" of players, so naturally... to make the game better, add more zombies and players?

I certainly do not hold that view. DayZ is a survival game because it has permadeath. If you don't have permadeath, then it is not a survival game. If you are making a game that may consider permadeath, then it's obviously not one of your design pillars.

Permadeath and the ruthless nature of the game are the key component of DayZ. People have done mass zombies before. People have done mass players before. DayZ is about the emotion that comes with a sense of loss, a molding of risk and reward over a very detailed map in a scenario that pushes the boundaries of survival. It doesn't rely on gimmicks to do this, and while things like advanced crafting are very awesome - they are not the core of the DayZ experience.

I also get tired of people with "there can be only one" attitudes. People said the same thing about Rust, about any other game that has survival attached to it. Always asking me how I feel about it.

How do I feel? Well, 1.8 million people are interested enough to buy into the early access. So I feel pretty awesome. I also feel the weight of responsibility to those people. If DayZ sold not a single other copy, then by every measure it will have been a massive success commercially and critically. It's driven major companies in the industry to look inside themselves and see if they can replicate the components (The Division & H1Z1 both stated DayZ as inspiration).

I put my heart and soul into the mod when it was only 10 or 20 people playing it. Just the same as I do today, as I have done for the last few years. I do my work for me, as I always have. Although I do have that sense of responsibility - that keeps me focused when I'm down a bit. But above everything else, I make DayZ for myself.

tl;dr

1. How can I feel anything other than absolutely amazed that something I did has such impact on the industry?

2. A survival game, to me, has key design pillars focused on survival (most notably permadeath). Without those it is not a survival game

Gobblemoss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Screen Reply with quote

In a cute trick, the H1Z1 website, which looks like a placeholder for now, had an easter egg. See https://www.h1z1.com/home

The blinking star in the upper left apparently was transmitting a message in Morse Code, which someone transcribed and found a URL with a previously unseen screenshot:

http://cdn.gamerant.com/wp-content/uploads/H1Z1-Panoramic-Screenshot.jpg

What I like about this screenshot:

- even though we just see him from behind, the player character looks realistic; they won't be going cartoon-style a la EQN, which I think is neat

- second, if that Panorama shot represents the size and breadth of the game world, OMG its going to be huge

- plus, I think having a car to get around will be interesting

Smedley was already hinting at huge world size; he said it would break immersion if you crammed a ton of people in one place. He wanted it to be significant if humans encounter other humans.

With the right server ruleset, and voxel tech, this could be amazing. I would LOVE to play a zombie apocalypse MMORPG that really allowed scope for freedom and RP. I am already imagining being holed up with the Clan as the sun starts to set and we desperately try to barricade the abandoned house we holed up in. Smile

Hin

Character Skills: Pie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks great and promising, but don't let the fog fool you - it gives the impression of greater distances and is a classic trick to make small worlds look bigger. In fact, that first ridge might only be 10-30 seconds run time away.
Gorbag

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That too but if you play landmark or PS2 you can get a sense of the size. The ForgeLight engine actually constricts the size to a 60km2 world, unless they've upgraded it. I wouldn't doubt since it's a persistent world it'll be zoned into multiple instances.

Fey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hin wrote:
looks great and promising, but don't let the fog fool you - it gives the impression of greater distances and is a classic trick to make small worlds look bigger. In fact, that first ridge might only be 10-30 seconds run time away.

If they can support it in Planetside I don't see why not. There's good pic comparing CoD, Battlefield and DayZ (225 km2 I think) map size (and I would think engine that planetside runs on is capable of more) http://i.imgur.com/AOsmMra.jpg

Gobblemoss

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: World Size Reply with quote

Gorbag wrote:
That too but if you play landmark or PS2 you can get a sense of the size. The ForgeLight engine actually constricts the size to a 60km2 world, unless they've upgraded it. I wouldn't doubt since it's a persistent world it'll be zoned into multiple instances.

I believe it is an upgraded engine but am not sure. I had thought the technology had advanced on making massive seamless worlds? Anyone know what they are capable of these days?

Hin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What set of red flags to be is the intensity of the fog in the easter egg for H1Z1 (but maybe it's on purpose to set the mood). In the Arma screenie, the fog wall is pushed out much farther because the rendering distance is huge.
Gorbag

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope its more than 60km2 but that's still huge. Plus you get 1km into the earth and 1km above as well. You can probably dig all the way through it too Very Happy

Fey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hin wrote:
What set of red flags to be is the intensity of the fog in the easter egg for H1Z1 (but maybe it's on purpose to set the mood). In the Arma screenie, the fog wall is pushed out much farther because the rendering distance is huge.

that's DayZ Standalone, not Arma (I realize it's similar engine Very Happy) here's map 15x15km, if you click in one spot then another you can measure distance http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus#3.065.060 it's curently 15x15km

my favorite part is that because it's based on RL map you can go to google earth and check out actual game locations in real life hehe

Last edited by Fey on Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Gorbag

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone watch the live stream?

EDIT: Got this from my friend,

Quote:

So notes from stream:

Game looks good
Early access in about 4 weeks, costs $20
Game is F2P at release
Bullet physics
Day/night cycles
Weather cycles
Crafting buildings and other stuff
Yes on zombies and animals
Really dark at night, like really dark
Can light things on fire, fire spreads, can light people on fire
Does have hunger system
Zombies are pretty dangerous, 4 or 5 hits on base character seemed to kill
Zombie hordes exist in large cities
No private servers, all SOE run large scale mmo like PS2
Some destructible environment

Fey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there permadeath?

Is there recording of stream somewhere? I'll go dig for it, but in case you know and can save me some time Smile

Gorbag

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.twitch.tv/h1z1/b/520748817

Gobblemoss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Ug Reply with quote

Here is some more info too:

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/04/18/tons-of-info-shared-on-sonys-h1z1-player-servers-announced-difference-with-dayz-explained/

On server rulesets, they are going to do something pretty interesting. Each account gets one token (one per year) which you can use to "vote" for a new ruleset server. If enough player interest is shown, SOE will create what the players want. So it seems like you will have groups of people mustering support for particular server rule sets then more or less campaigning to get people to support them.

One thing I did like was the comment about this being a game that will encourage the players to cooperate against a dangerous zombie threat. I assume this means the zombie AI will be designed by Story Bricks too (the ones doing AI for EQN). They don't want it to be mainly players running around killing other players with zombies as a minor and ignorable side irritant.

Hin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorbag wrote:
http://www.twitch.tv/h1z1/b/520748817

sweet! looks really promising.

Gorbag

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One vote per year sounds pretty dumb. Makes more sense if their subs get more than 1 vote per year.

I wonder what the sub gets you, that'll be fun to see, I like their subs they are usually rewarding but balanced.

Gobblemoss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Ug ug Reply with quote

From this article:

http://www.behindgames.com/new-h1z1-details-surfaced-need-food-water-safe-place-live-just-one-day/

"In H1Z1 you need to search for Food and water to stay alive, and as safe place to sleep and survive another day, In addition to the infected you have to dealing with all kinds of wild animals and the brutality of other survivors.

There will be Food and water mechanics in the game and a whole body health, temperature, and stability systems.

Here is more details:

Interior and exterior areas to explore.
Food and water mechanics.
Whole body health, temperature, and stability systems.
A wealth of weapons and tools used to survive.
A dynamic, persistent universe.
Built in the Forgelight system, opening the world to thousands of players."

This reminds me of the reality mods players did for Skyrim.

IF you really can die from starvation, thirst or cold/heat, if you need a safe place to sleep (e.g. can be killed if you log off in a dangerous area), if the zombies are as dangerous as they say, and if resources as scarce, then this REALLY does become a cooperative survival game.

Groups that work together will have an advantage. Players who have skills at leadership will have an advantage. Loners who want to run around sniping anyone they see will find it challenging. Solo griefers and idiots will be shunned (and that will be challenging for them). However organized evil can still flourish, but in a more logical way than the usual free-for-all.

Me like...

Gorbag

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the stuff related to cold/food/water/poison/sickness/resources is already in other survival games though, I hope they do something unique and different but if they're ready to sell alpha access soon for $20, I doubt there's much deviation from the norm.

I'm looking forward to the voxel building/destruction!

Htak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder how this will compare to Rust or 7DTD?
Gorbag

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea. I really liked Rust, but it just grew old after 200+ hours. Might go back to it when it goes to beta or live (if it makes it).

I'll definitely buy a alpha slot for $20 though and give it a whirl.

Shintuk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really impressed with PS2. I think I must have sunk close to 150 hours into it. I'll definitely be giving this a shot.

Gobblemoss

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Hmm Reply with quote

OK, now can an expert describe how post-Apocalyptic zombies will behave?

Fantasy zombies, like skeletons, wights and wraiths, are undead who are usually tied to specific locations such as an ancient temple, graveyard or old battlefield.

Epidemic disease zombies seem different.

Everyone agrees zombies eat human brains. And they do not need rest or sleep. Once they start chasing you then, I assume nothing stops them except their own destruction, which for some reason traditionally means a head shot.

I am wondering what kind of zombies H1Z1 will have. Fast zombies? Slow "Romero" zombies? Smart zombies (is there such a thing?) or dumb zombies?

Last edited by Gobblemoss on Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gorbag

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, probably multiple types. But when you die your corpse may get up and become a zombie, carrying all your stuff with it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Shadowclan Dark Moot Forum Index -> Future Branch Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: