Shadowclan Main Page The Shadowclan Dark Moot

CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   CharactersCharacters   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Tue 18 Sep 2018
Wed 19 Sep 2018
Thu 20 Sep 2018
Fri 21 Sep 2018
Sat 22 Sep 2018
Sun 23 Sep 2018
PC to SMS?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Shadowclan Dark Moot Forum Index -> Computers etc.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buurzlug

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: PC to SMS? Reply with quote

Trying to figure out how to text from my PC to a phone.

I'm trying to understand why from one cell phone, to another you can just use the number.

But from an e-mail client, i need a persons carrier ie the bit after their number
ex cell number is 613-555-5555

From a regular cell phone, i could just send a text to 6135555555
from gmail i can send a text to 6135555555@bell.txt.ca

I don't understand why i need the carrier from an e-mail client, but not from another cell phone.

Anyone have any ideas?

Ganthar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're completely different technologies that developed separately and were later made to work on the same device. You're not sending a text message from your PC to your phone. You're sending an e-mail to some kind of exchange server controlled by the phone provider which the carrier converts into a text message and delivers to your phone.

If you want to send a straight up text via the PC the best way to do that is to use some kind of voip tech such as a google voice phone number.

voice.google.com

Meat is murder.

Tasty, tasty murder. Mmmmmm, I love it. In fact, I'm going to eat some beef right now. HOOWAH!
Rakgru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMS is its own messaging protocol (Short Message Service) that uses fixed or mobile telephone networks.

Email message, even from phones, use a different protocol and network. They require SMTP or IMAP and a TCP/IP connection.

In order to communicate between the two you need a server acting as a bridge between the two protocols and networks. Even the term bridge is slightly misleading for it must not only connect the two systems but also translate between the two.

One thing one of our teams experimented with is the use of one of these bridges with a content entry system to deliver SMS messages to a user list from posts to the CMS. Internally, in our company we use it to broadcast social and weekend party information between members of the company subscribed to a list on our web server. When our offices were out in the suburbs we also used it to co-ordinate car pools. Oh and for a while to do somethignsomething to the parking garage door and open it (landlord didn't have a sense of humour about that)

Then there are more serious projects such as those led by Leo Burd at MIT combining VOIP& SMS with a CMS to provide communication systems integrating voice, text and phones.

Don't mess up my enjoyment of Friday this week by pointing out that it's only Wednesday
Buurzlug

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could swear i used to be able to send SMS messages with the default MS Messenger that came with NT 4.0

THough i can't seem to find any IM program that will send to SMS unless you buy credits for it (Skype)

So i get now why you couldn't send from e-mail to sms without the carrier info, but if sms from an IM program on a PC used to work, why is it almost impossible now? I've found some online (Heywire) but for those to work, you need to download a program onto a smart phone, or a tablet, and THEN you can sign in from a PC, but to need a smart phone or tablet first confuses me.

There were no smart phones or tablets back when i was doing an MCSE and was using NT 4.0, and it worked.

Quite annoying, as i don't want to have to buy a smart phone, just to be able to send a text message to someone.

You would think with all the technology we have these days, someone would have figured out how to make it simple to send a text from a PC to a mobile phone.

My guess is the networks don't want it to work that way without making some kind of profit from it.

Ganthar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buurzlug wrote:

You would think with all the technology we have these days, someone would have figured out how to make it simple to send a text from a PC to a mobile phone.

http://voice.google.com

Meat is murder.

Tasty, tasty murder. Mmmmmm, I love it. In fact, I'm going to eat some beef right now. HOOWAH!
Buurzlug

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i tried that, and in any instructions i've followed, the steps to use it just aren't there.

Ganthar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What part are you stuck on?

As part of your first time setup you choose a phone number that will be your google voice number. (Other people can text you using this number and it will show up in your inbox.)

Then you click the button that says Text

in the to field you type the phone number.

In the message field you type your text message and then click send.

If you want to link your google voice number to your actual telephone number you'll have to verify it. They give you a code and then call your phone. You then enter the code they give you and your phone is verified. This allows you to have calls and texts to your google voice number forwarded to your actual phone if you want. (It's optional.)

Meat is murder.

Buurzlug

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen a screen that gave me the option to have a google voice number.

I don't even remember seting this up, as soon as i went to the link you posted for google voice, it took me to a log in screen, and i just enetered my gmail and password. It brought me to a google voice with a bunch of numbers i had called via my computer on the google dial pad in gmail.

Ganthar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you can also place calls from gmail although in the past it required an add on in chrome.

Do you have a red call and text button in the upper left corner after you log in?

Meat is murder.

Buurzlug

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No i do not.

Ganthar wrote:
Yeah you can also place calls from gmail although in the past it required an add on in chrome.

Do you have a red call and text button in the upper left corner after you log in?

Ganthar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buurzlug wrote:
No i do not.

Ganthar wrote:

I signed into an account I have that doesn't have a google voice number. This is what I see in it. I highlighted in yellow the link you need to click to choose a google voice number. It should walk you through setting it up.

Meat is murder.

Buurzlug

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's because i'm in canada?
I don't see what you have highlighted, it's just not there.
I've even logged in to a new account that i created just to test it.
Nothing.

Ganthar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it is probably an option only for the US then. That is unfortunate.

Meat is murder.

Buurzlug

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, thanks for the help though, it's appreciated.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Shadowclan Dark Moot Forum Index -> Computers etc. All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: